• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best RAM for DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Josh_Hayes

Registered
I am planning on purchasing this board and an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 1MB L2 cache. It runs up to three DIMM's in a single-channel configuration and utilizes the Nforce3 250GB chipset. The board also offers VDIMM up to 3.1v and possibly 3.2-3.3v in the next BIOS rev. The board also allows a selection of 1.5CAS in the memory timings. I am planning on buying a single 512MB DIMM for this board and can't seem to find which memory would be best for this setup.

I hear the best memory for the Athlon 64 is the OCZ DDR PC-3700 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth, any of the new Samsung-based OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2, PQI Turbo PC3200, Corsair XMS CMX512-3200XL, and the Micron-based Crucial Ballistix PC3200. I know that most people are looking to use multiple DIMMs and dual channel, but I'm wondering what RAM will give me the best performance using a single DIMM in single-channel mode.

On Pentium 4's, bandwidth is more important than latency. Is this the case with AMD's as well? The EB memory appears to advertise more headroom whereas the others advertise lower latency. I am not sure whether I will be overclocking, but will most likely attempt a higher FSB with lower multiplier combination. Would it be better to max out the FSB sticking with lower timings 1.5(If possible, otherwise 2)-2-2-10 or run higher FSB with looser timings 3-2-3-10+?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Josh

I hear the tccds are supposed to be the best for the DFI nf3. This comes from DFI-Street Forums. I'll let ya know come Tuesday teh 28th when mine arrives and I slap in my PQI tccds. I'm sure te OCZ's are great also, if you can find the 3700EB's. Timings don't mean nearly as much as it does with the XPs, so lower Latency isn't as important from what I understand.

OCZ EL Rev. 2 (Samsung)

OCZ Gold Rev. 3 (Hynix)

Mushkin Black Level II v2 (Samsung TCCD)

OCZ EB PC 3500/3700

Bh-5/Bh-6

Crucial Ballistix

I hear lower latencies with these amd boards and procs don't matter near as much as on the xp's, so it is really up to you. Figure a higher fsb will be better than lower latencies on that setup.

Back