• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

travelling water coling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fire58Mech

Okay I was thinking about building a water cooling system to sut up all tese fans. but, I ocasinally travel. ow does a water cooling stystem old up in travel. And wat are some of te best thing i can do to ensure it not leaking.
thanks

It will hold up exactly as well as it's made. If you buy quality parts, take your time assembling it, and secure everything properly, you will have no problems.

To ensure it doesn't leak? Metal Hose Clamps!

aslong as everything is sealed and clamped then unless you throw it against a wall you will probably be ok :)
although you might want a t-line and no res.

You can never be entirely sure your system will never leak no matter what you do. ;) Hose clamps just reduce the chances of a tube loosening, or pulling off.

Fire58Mech, there are a few things you need to watch out for when traveling with a WC system. First, with a t-line or most reserviours you will have to keep your computer upright. If you lay it on its side, the little left over air in the res or T will travel back into your loop. Make sure everything is mounted securly. Your radiator, pump, res need to be bolted securly to the case. If one of those parts falls into the motherboard, vid card, ect it could do serious damage. As always when moving a computer, be careful with it.

i can vouch for moving a t-line... i have a modified swiftech 2x120 rad kit took out the fill and bleed kit just made a normal t-line used metal hose clamps... i had to drive over 400 miles to get my college, i didn't empty the water and everything was fine, got here set it up and had no problems

You may also want to look out for major changes in elevation (air pressire) during the trip. If it's enough that it would make you worry about an increase in leak possibility, you may want to just drain the system and refill again later.

Also... BE CAREFUL IN WINTER... Sorry, heh. I've seen more than a few people leaving fully filled watercooled systems unattended in a trunk or back seat long enough for it to freeze and burst tubing and connections. A lot of commonly used additives will lower the freezing point a bit, but still there's that risk in those conditions.

I would also advise a quick removal block, so as to avoid and stress on the core due to trasportation.

(ie:leave the loop intact, but unmount the block)

I have a socket a motherboard. abit nf7-s. where can i find blocks for this? While I'm at it.
What If I used metal tubing instead of rubber or some kind of plastic? Would that help with durabilitty and help prevent leaks. I'm not sure how I would do it but I know I could figger it out. The only problem would be connecting it to the equipment since they are meant to take something softer and more flexible.

If I used anti frezze in it would that minimize chances of frezzing. Not that I'm that stupid but hey, why take a chance?

thanks!!

Back