• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC Rig. Thank you all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DawsonPrime

I just completed my first WC rig. Thanks to all of you and the Search button. I am very happy with the results. I knew Zero about Water Cooling when I started researching here about a month ago. I learned everything I needed to know from searching the posts here. Thank you all.

Here is the WC Gear:

Swiftech MCW6002-A WaterBlock
Danger Den 12 Volt D4 Pump
D-Tek Heatercore 120 MM Sanyo Denki Fan (Pulling)
ClearFlex60 Tubing
t-line
VW/Audi Blue Anti-Freeze 10%
Distilled Water 90%
Arctic Silver 5

Old Gear:

SLK-800 with Panaflo FBA09A12H
Arctic Silver 5

OverClock and Temps:

Athlon XP-M @ 2518 (219x11.5 -- 1.85 V)
42 C load 37 C idle with Water
49 C load 45 C idle with Air

Will Post Pics after my Camera Batteries Charge.

Nice for you, welcome in the wet world of watercooling :) Hope you had fun when mounting everything...

Here it is. I still need to cut the t-line down to size. I will post better pics after I do that.

wcrig001.jpg

nice.. just maybe 1 suggestion? fan pulling air from the top of the case to cool the rad, not the already heated air from the cpu

nice looking first setup!

can you do me a favor? try reversing the radiator fans (exausting instead of intake) if it's not too much work.

If he does that than he'll be blowing hot air through the rad. He already discussed that.

my point is that a watercooled case (removing almost all the heat to the rad) with good airflow should have a close to ambient case temp. A case where all the hot air is being blown towards the motherboard probably won't have a very good case temp. I've always seen it as not making much sense to blow all the heat your removed from your components over everything. Pretty simple to test too.

Guderian, you have a similar setup and reversed it, finding that exausting air gave you a 3C increase on cpu temp compared to intake?

Here are the temps after running the CPU for 12 hours at 100 % usage.

Room Temp = 26C
Case Temp = 30C
CPU Temp = 40C

I expect the CPU temp to drop 1 or 2 C after the Artic Silver 5 has time to setup.

crimedog said:
my point is that a watercooled case (removing almost all the heat to the rad) with good airflow should have a close to ambient case temp. A case where all the hot air is being blown towards the motherboard probably won't have a very good case temp. I've always seen it as not making much sense to blow all the heat your removed from your components over everything. Pretty simple to test too.

Guderian, you have a similar setup and reversed it, finding that exausting air gave you a 3C increase on cpu temp compared to intake?

It's an additional intake for him really. The air doesn't heat up that much coming off the rad. The PSU and rear exhaust get the job done for the most part. It's more effective for him to use air that's 10C cooler through the rad than use it as an exhaust. Same principle as a HSF duct really. My case temps are 33C, but the ambient temp is 24C. Which air would you have him use through a rad? Case temps don't make much difference when you're watercooling unless you're really overclocking it and the NB overheats.

DawsonPrime said:
OverClock and Temps:

Athlon XP-M @ 2518 (219x11.5 -- 1.85 V)
42 C load 37 C idle with Water
49 C load 45 C idle with Air

Will Post Pics after my Camera Batteries Charge.

You could probably drop those temps several degrees if you got another 120mm rad eventually. You should check out the Swiftech Radbox that allows you to mount the heatercore outside the case.

Alacritan said:
You could probably drop those temps several degrees if you got another 120mm rad eventually. You should check out the Swiftech Radbox that allows you to mount the heatercore outside the case.

Yes, I plan on getting a Double HeaterCore soon.

Here are the pics after I cut the t-line down to size.

wcrig002.jpg

wcrig003.jpg

magick_man said:
is that a dd fillport i spy?
if so why not run it to the top and mount it there?
just an idea...

~Magick_Man~

That was the original plan, but I did not like the look of the long t-line so I cut it down. The fillport works as a good cap so I used it anyway.

Question about your top...uhhhh...suckhole. Did you cut out a square that fit the dimensions of the rad or is it sucking air through a 120mm dia. circle? I'm just trying to picture the top.

hey Guderian, when you say you reversed a push pull setup, do you mean you had changed the airflow from incase sucking through rad and out the case TO air getting sucked in through the radiator and pushed out into the case??

thanks

shraad said:
Question about your top...uhhhh...suckhole. Did you cut out a square that fit the dimensions of the rad or is it sucking air through a 120mm dia. circle? I'm just trying to picture the top.

Here is the top. I am not finished with it. I still need to Miter the edges of the trim.

wcrig004.jpg

Last edited:
Back