• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zalman reserator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legendosiris

Ok, i'd like to really make my pc quiet but at the same time have it cooled nicely. So far, the zalman reserator looks to be a good bet. I'm curious if any of you have used this? The prices is pretty steep and i'm debating just trying to do everything on air since that would be alot cheaper.

Is there a quieter way to run a system than the zalman, and still keep solid temps?

Depends on what your ultimate goal is....

If you are planning on O/C and want a quitet machine, the Zalman will probably fit the bill just fine.

If you are planning on heavy O/C and want a quiet machine, the Zalman probably will not be the best coice.

The main thing is that you need to decide on; a) performance of CPU, b) how quiet is quiet, c) ease of installing, d) cost.

You can go almost silent on air, as well, if you make it right.
I just finished making an almost dead silent system for a firend that has a Mobile Barton clocked at 2.4Ghz@200FSB. So silent that all the people who looked at it could only tell it was on because of the LEDs :D

Bottom line is this: if you want a PRE-built, low maintenance water solution with low to moderate O/C, the Zalman should work perfectly. Your temps will mostly be determined by your room temps anyways.

If you want something high performance but quiet, you may want to look into a custom watercooled system but be prepared to dish out a bit more.

Let us know more about what your intentions are.

Foxy

There is a way to do this that is slightly cheaper than the reserator but im not sure if the performance is a lot better. If you look at some of the german water cooling rigs they use massive radiators that are very restrictive, but it doesn't matter for them because they run pretty low flow systems. These radiator dont need fans, they can be run passivly. Or you could go for a medium sized radiator like a 77 bonneville and get some 120 mm fans rated at like 34db to start with and then put them on a fan controller to under volt them. this should yield a pretty queit /moderate to high-moderate performance

just my thoughts

Yeah, Innovatek has a couple of those large passive radiators in their product range. These might come with overly restrictive fittings, or may even be of small diameter on the inside too, but silent they are.

This is their large convex passive rad (45 by 33 cm!):

Attachments

• KonvMAXI1.jpg
    KonvMAXI1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 134
Ok, so currently i'm running your pretty standard overclock of a barton2500 to 3200+ speeds. In the future i do plan on going A64 also. So later i realised that the Zalman would have to take the beating of an A64, which i'm not sure if i'd overclock. I hadnt really considered piecing together a water cooling setup, simply because this is would be my first w/c attempt, i've seen it online for roughly $210 and i wonder if i could custom make a setup (silent as the zalman), for cheaper.

So, i'm at the fork in the road...take the dive and go water (albeit zalman, or a cheaper custom setup), or start replacing all my fans :-/.

Should have mentioned plans to go A64 in the beginning, oops. Oh and our house is kept at 73 degrees F all day, fwiw. And i'm not out here to waste my money, so i come to the trusty ocforums for advise. hehehe

you could piece together a setup that is very righteous for 150-180. I just did. There are many things in this process that can be done to decrease costs, however, many people end up just paying for the ease of setup. There are certain things though that the common man cannot really do.
One is construct a pump, thats a definite pricetag right there. You need to decide if you want to do the low head 20-40 dollar range pumps or the high head 60-80 dollar ones. Thats a generalization, but is ... generally ... true. Low end would be via aqua, L20, L30, Eheim 1046 and 1048, perhaps the 1250. High end would be MCP650, MCP600, Mag 3, D4, or Iwaki.
Another is the block. Unless you are cathar or a handful of the seniors and mods here, you probably have had no experience with hunks of copper in a machine shop. The good news is that blocks are fairly inexpensive for their worth. This, however, is another definite pricetag. DD, Dtek, adn Swiftech make the mainstream blocks. If you are feeling a little funky you could go european (theyre weird ;) ) or even lay down the cash and try to get yourself a cathar block. I'll be jealous, but I think I can get over it.

Other than that... the rest of the parts can be to a large degree extremely non-pricetagish. For instance the third major element, a HC, can even be salvaged for no money at a junkyard, or bought at an autostore for as little as $15. This is much preferred over the $50-$80 "professional" radiators sold for Wc loops; not only is it cheaper, but also heatercores are better performers.
Tubing can be had from Home depot, or bought for relatively little money at USPlastics, McMaster, or in the case of Tygon, DD.
Clamps... fittings, all of these extrema are participants in the 99c bargain ben at home depot, I was there yesterday.

The point is.. if you try you can save up to $100 by doing certain things yourself rather than kitting it up.

ok, so i've pretty much decided to do a custom rig. ya'll think i'll be able to make it as silent or near as the zalman?

btw, if i'm gonna go make my own, i would prefer to have it fit INSIDE my case. Unfortunately my case is pretty much a midtower. I could do some work and get some more room, but it'd be pushing it.

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III lanfire

I have a couple pics of the current setup inside the case..not the greatest quality though.
insidecase.jpg

So far i'm leaning toward these parts:
CPU block: Swiftech MCW6000 (use this block still when up move to A64)
VGA block: Swiftech equivelent (pretty much to keep same brand blocks)
Rad/Heatercore: Not quite sure here yet. Kind of looking at the Danger Den's and Swiftech's. Really want something i can fit in my case up front, and wont require a jet engine to push air throuh, so its quieter.
Pump: Leaning towards an Eheim 1250 (really doesnt matter much as long as its not too loud)

The part i'm really lost on, is picking a rad atm. We'll see.

Last edited:
Back