• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know it dual channel is working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all,
Probably been asked before, but here goes.

How can I be sure my system is working in dual channel?.
How can I disable dual channel.
Thanks,

Well, the obvious thing would be to make sure that your mobo has dual channel capabilities, and if it does and you have them in the right slots, when you post it will show Dual Channel Enabled. Chances are that you wont see any difference in speed in any "real-world" apps. But, if you have a matched set of ram there isnt any good reason why you shouldnt use the dc slots. Remember that is you stick any more ram in any other slot besides the dc slots, you'll lose dual channel capabulities.

you can always look in cpu-z and see if it says dual channel in the memory tab under performance mode.

HousERaT said:
you can always look in cpu-z and see if it says dual channel in the memory tab under performance mode.

you always have to be doing things the easy way. ;)

edit: I was looking under the memory tab on cpu-z and it is grayed out, but under channel # it says dual.

Last edited:
edwardaune said:
you always have to be doing things the easy way. ;)

edit: I was looking under the memory tab on cpu-z and it is grayed out, but under channel # it says dual.

o.k.... it's one of them... ;)

I like my computers and my women easy?! :bang head

Thanks for that.
M/B manual is a useful thing. Found the correct slots for DC ram.

Have just installed CPU-z, and have the ram in correct slots dimm1,dimm3. But CPU-z says 'single. The spec of both ram modules is the same. Manual says only thing I have to to is insert the ram, no bios changes.

What goes?

Fish

Last edited:
Not ure, try a cmos clear.

Arent games classed as "Real World" apps? Double the bandwidth means 20% extra frames...

~t0m

Tried clearing the CMOS, and tried the two ram modules in all combinations of the 4 dimm slots, but each time get the same result in CPU-z.

Anyone else with this experience ??

Also im doing stability testing, and if the system locks or crashes, sometimes it wont start without a cmos reset. I wonder are the two effects related.

Or
Is theres some timer mechanism on the board, which prevents it restarting for a while after a crash ?

Thanks

Fish

Back