• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan blowing on CPU Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KxrWireless

Registered
Is there any benefit to having a fan blowing on your CPU block? Perhaps one attached to the side panel blowing in fresh air. I can only speculate some very minor benefit to the system but I happen to have a couple spare 80mm fans lying around. :-/

It doesnt really do anything for anything, but sometimes it lowers the temperature reading because it has air flowing around the temperature probe.

one thing that will help if you blow on the mosfets and any other hot components around it.

Jon

Yea, basically what Jfettig said.

The waterblock will take care of the cpu, a fan could help with all the mosfets/ram/northbridge.

One on the video card isn't a bad idea either, even if it's watercooled.

I see, thanks for the input. Perhaps i will orient the side panel fan (chieftec dragon case) over the mosfets then. I don't want to directly blow air into any of the temperature diodes that might give a false impression. Also I'm thinking about making a top mount blowhole. My only real intake is the 120mm fans going through my pro-core. I'm getting ambients of 34C from an IC7-G.

using the fan on my mosfets helped my overclock quite a lot - definitely a good call.

Seperate cold air introduction would lower temps considerably - that is, of course, depending on the ambient temp in your room.

Back