• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Way to get blood red water in my lines? (UV preferable)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont think anyone has tried cooling with real blood, and there is always time for a first... and i am pretty sure blood works quite well under UV if there is truth to Law and Order or any other crime type show

WejRepus said:
i dont think anyone has tried cooling with real blood, and there is always time for a first... and i am pretty sure blood works quite well under UV if there is truth to Law and Order or any other crime type show

LOL, not exactly what I ment :p. Although, you do have a point about the UV...hmm.

My water isn't UV at all, but it is blood red. All I did was put in a good bit of red food coloring.

Thanks for the link...that seems like it might work.
Now, all I have to do is find an anti-algea/corrosion additive that won't change the color. Any ideas?

WejRepus said:
Blood is a no go, it will coaggulate, and besides, water is much better anyway.

Water wetter is a lousy additive IMO and so is food coloring. Both stain your tubing and water wetter leaves a cloudy grimmy film in the tubing. Also water wetter is more pinkish especially when added to the water. I would probably try to use some marine/RV coolant(I have a bottle of it in my garage and its pinkish red) since this should take care of the corrosion protection end(maybe also add some humidifier bateriacid to ensure no algae or legionares lol) and then try to find a red UV additive at one of the mod shops online. The only thing that I really don't know how you would take care of is the fact that even with all this red it will probably still end up looking slightly translucent of which real blood isn't(atleast when the plasma is still well dispersed). I do know some good FX blood recipes though lol.

Also real blood would start to go bad unless you chilled it way down (causing it to thicken in the process though) and even then you would have to change it out after so many days.

the d-tek red dye isnt all that, i tried some it comes out as more of a fire pink than anything. even when i used a large amount of it (allmost half a bottle)

I am not looking to make it totally opaque, just wanted a nice dark red color. that UV dies posted are almost as dark as I was looking for.

My system is all copper, so do I really need an anti corrosion additive? I am guessing algea could be a problem, so what if I as some alcohol to the mix? I am trying to avoid adding any other color to the mix/

Thanks for the help guys, getting good info.

I was kidding about actually using blood in my lines. I don't even no where I could "legally" get my hands on the quantity needed. I am not about to drain myself lol.

I would add a corrosion additive just to be on the safe side. Also using the marine/RV coolant or Zerex racing coolant will help to color the water as well.

Nightingale said:
I would add a corrosion additive just to be on the safe side. Also using the marine/RV coolant or Zerex racing coolant will help to color the water as well.

Is Zerex red in color?

Zerex is reddish pink in color so if you use this with a UV additive you should get a really nice read color. You don't need to use a strong concentration of Zerex since to much can heart performance. I think in my rig I had nearly maybe a half-gallon in the loop so I used 2oz of Zerex. I turned mine blue though by adding the dye from a blue highlighter to the loop(almost gave it a glow under CCFLs).

Back