• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WW Poly or AL tops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

AL tops for the D-TEK White Water are $10 dollars more than the poly tops. I was wondering if they're necessary, if so why?

Some people that have owned poly topped blocks have had it crack on them. I'm no machinist, but I imagine machining Al is a bit more difficult than machining the polycarbonate.

Mine cracked after a month, bought a copper top from logicooling and no more problems and almost looks as nice, very good quality from Neomosis:)

-Milkman

Nope, I had Uv dye and lights and noticed it dripping onto my 9500pro :eek:
so I looked really close and found a small spyder crack, down she went and I ordered the copper top and all has been well for 7+ months now, only topped the coolant once with maybe 1/2 an ounce:)

-Milkman

Thats good. You got kind of lucky there, I notice your 9500Pro is still in your sig :D

If it got destroyed and I were you I would have made them replace it for me!

Yes, I know there would be a slim chance of that happening... but still, at least call and give them a hard time about it!

I work at a call center... ppl do that to me all day long 5 days a week - any chance I get and I'm doing it back!! lol - I know, I'm like a little kid :p

Why pay $60 for a whitewater with an aluminum top (or even $50 for a poly top that may crack) when a $40 MCW6000 (or 6002) will do as well as the whitewater and better at lower flow rates? You also don't have to deal with using a Y to rejoin the 2 outlets. Unless you can realistically get a 2+ gallon-per-minute flow rate (and it's not easy to achieve), what's the attraction to the whitewater? It's not the top block anymore especially considering cost vs. performance.

Don't wanna kill it, it's my sons next upgrade:D and from there his stuff goes down to the next and the next and the next etc... when you have 5 kids all with built from my past upgrades every piece of hardware helps:)

-Milkman

gungeek said:
Why pay $60 for a whitewater with an aluminum top (or even $50 for a poly top that may crack) when a $40 MCW6000 (or 6002) will do as well as the whitewater and better at lower flow rates?
YAY, thats the one I decided on! :D the 6002-A ;)

the swiftech mcw 6002 is a very well built block that has excellent performance - at approx. $40 it is a helluva deal. It comes with very good instructions, the base is supa-flat, all of the hardware is well-built, solid copper construction (so no worries about cracks or anodizing that might wear off and lead to galvanic corrosion) and it even comes with metal tube clamps.

the solder line around the outer edge of the block's base is so thin (due to amazingly tight tolerances on the machining) that you can hardly even see it.

swiftech gets a huge :thup: for this one.

^^^ What he said. Got a 6002-A in the mail a week ago... it is beautiful. I keep wanting to baby it and treat it delicately, but really its just built like a tank.

With ur 6002-A blocks... I got finger prints stuck on the bottom of mine - I couldnt get them to come out! Anyone else? Oh well.

Back