• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo w/ Micron chip...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strykar

Registered
Anyone have reviews on this ram?

It's pretty cheap at only $80 for a 512 stick, read that it uses the same chip as Crucial Ballistix, but the CAS is a bit more..

Since I dont plan on running 3dmark and SuperPi all day (im a gamer) would you reccomend this ram? It will be for the new rig im building... Just waiting on some releases atm...

S939 3200 64
DFI NF3 UT 250

I was looking at some Ballistix, but since it doesnt seem like slightly raised CAS isnt gonna hurt performance that much.. i will probably get a gig of this:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-150-617&depa=1

There are no "formal" reviews of this ram with the Micron chips. PCStats has one when it was made with bh-5.

There is however, a ton of info from forum members. This ram was a hot topic back in July/Aug of this year. The attached threads will give you a pretty good idea of what took place. There were some people that had good results, but in truth, the majority did not.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311457

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313602

bah, thats kinda dissapointing.... are there any other good value rams out atm? Id look into some PQI Turbo, but for the money, i might as well go with Ballistix or some OCZ EB..

At the current time, I think that if you're looking to get the best out of your system, the Samsung TCCD based ram like the PQI or the OCZ PC3200 Plat. Rev 2 or the alternative Ballistix are your best bet. The other route might be the Hynix D5 based ram like the OCZ PC3700 Rev 3 or the Komusa Adata based PC4200.

Thanks man, I appreciate your suggestions, hopefully we'll get some critiquing now ;)

the micron powered buffalo turned out to be disapointing. i think reefa just about covered all the best alternatives, with maybe the ocz eb pc3700 thrown in also

Correct me if im wrong, but im not going to see very much of a difference between say.... PC3200 @ 2-2-2 over PC3200 @ 3-3-2 or something similar, am I? It's just more headroom to work with when overclocking? But at stock speeds... little difference in gaming, yes?

I have 2 x 512MB Crucial 8T PC3200 that does 245 MHz, 3-3-3, 1T with 2.8V. It costs $86. per stick at NewEgg.

Strykar said:
Correct me if im wrong, but im not going to see very much of a difference between say.... PC3200 @ 2-2-2 over PC3200 @ 3-3-2 or something similar, am I? It's just more headroom to work with when overclocking? But at stock speeds... little difference in gaming, yes?

If you are going to run close to PC3200 speeds, this ram is just fine, either in the PC3200 or the PC3700 (it is the same ram) it will run 2.5-2-2-11 up to 215-220 with no problems. The PC3700 just won't consistently run the rated 233 speeds.

Reefa_Madness said:
If you are going to run close to PC3200 speeds, this ram is just fine, either in the PC3200 or the PC3700 (it is the same ram) it will run 2.5-2-2-11 up to 215-220 with no problems. The PC3700 just won't consistently run the rated 233 speeds.

I guess the main decision on my behalf is whether I want 250mhz or not...

Well, im gonna take my chances with the Kingston HyperX in the other thread.. wish me luck.

Back