• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curious when to up vdimm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

When do you need to up the voltage on the memory, after you change the default latencies or when your FSB starts to exceed 400MHz(pc3200)? Its still a little hard to understand memory latencies, voltage, and so on. Getting ready to install the new mobile 2600+ and Im try to get all this in before I start another setup. Thanks

most guys use extra voltage to get more speed out of their ram. however it can also be used to get better stability at a lower cas latency (timings)that normal voltage wont. extra speed and stability with additional voltage varies with each chip.some respond very well, some dont at all..

edwardaune said:
So....in other words, try everything.

anyone who's followed my quest for more since getting the TCCD ram knows I've been testing and trying everything to get higher.... well today I started fooling around with the timings to see what I could get..... for the last three weeks I've been stuck at 239-240. Ever since I switched the timings and moved the voltage down I've made what I consider to be big gain.... right now I'm priming at 244.... it just takes time and the desire to go through every combination of voltages and timings........ see you guys at 250!

j/k I'm expecting this thing to crap out soon.... but I'm glad to be up into the 240s now..... :D

edwardaune said:
So....in other words, try everything.

unfortunately my friend there is no quick way to determine how fast and what latencies ur ram will run without taking the time to test..everyone has their own system.i usually try the fastest speed first(at highest latencies) then add voltage. then i work with the latencies..

Start off at default voltages and find the highest overclock at default latencies, unless you know that the ram will run with faster timings, for example, from reading reviews or posts by forum members, then use those settings. Regardless, the point is to find the highest ram speed at the selected timings. Upon loosing stability (test with Memtest), your choices are to increase voltage to see if the ram stabilizes, or increase the timings. Which way you go would depend on at what speed you are currently running and how fast you would expect your cpu to run. If for example, you are using a cpu that will (or is expected to) top out at 240 and you have reached 210 at your current timings and voltage then it is doubtful that increasing the voltage will take you to 240 unless you are using something with bh-5/6 and you have lots of voltage at your disposal. Assuming that is not the case then you would choose to relax the timings and continue increasing the fsb, aiming to reach your expected goal of 240. When you get close to your goal and you experience instability, the raising the voltage could help you stabilize the ram and allow you to reach your 240 without having to reduce the timings further, if not then you continue the process. Remember that increased voltage results in increased temps for the ram, so in some situations you may need to cool the ram with fans, etc. Once you have reached the max cpu speed, you would then attempt to keep the same speed but speed up the timings by increasing the voltage. You are looking for that sweet spot where the ram runs as fast as possible (limited by other components or itself), at the lowest possible timings with the least amount of voltage. It is just a gradual process and requires time and patience.

HousERaT said:
anyone who's followed my quest for more since getting the TCCD ram knows I've been testing and trying everything to get higher.... well today I started fooling around with the timings to see what I could get..... for the last three weeks I've been stuck at 239-240. Ever since I switched the timings and moved the voltage down I've made what I consider to be big gain.... right now I'm priming at 244.... it just takes time and the desire to go through every combination of voltages and timings........ see you guys at 250!

j/k I'm expecting this thing to crap out soon.... but I'm glad to be up into the 240s now..... :D

Good show! Do you think that your burn-in efforts have done any good?

My PQI, unlike yours, needs that 2.9v from my nf7 to stabilize. I will get errors at lower voltage, but these will clear up at 2.8v or 2.9v. I've tried lowering them, like you and some of the other guys but it won't play nice.

flapperhead said:
unfortunately my friend there is no quick way to determine how fast and what latencies ur ram will run without taking the time to test..everyone has their own system.i usually try the fastest speed first(at highest latencies) then add voltage. then i work with the latencies..

Which he failed to mention is always at 301fsb (his starting point). :)

I appreciate everything your telling me and I didnt mean to offend if I did. But anyways, Im guessing when you are referring to good speeds on ram you talking about good timings ex. 6-3-3-2 which is advertised by pqi, and they work but not at a very high fsb, mind yo the bartons locked, so I think that really limited me on higher fsb's than I did.(duh) As you can see Im running at 11-2-2-2 now at a slighly higher fsb and it scores a little bit better on primes benchmark. So, should just stay at 11-2-2-2 to start of with just with a lower multiplier so I can get a higher fsb....arggggggg
I am probably making this harder than it needs to be. I understand what you guys are telling me, and Ill be referring to these lasts posts a lot. Alright, mobile gets here tomorrow, but Im in the process of moving so I dont get to play until thurs or so... BE WARNED you'll be hearing from me.

Back