• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So can the 77 Bonneville HC fit 1/2" tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jbroad572

I read that you can boil the tubing and it will fit, then I've read that it won't fit and you will have to put new barbs in. What's the truth?

Also, when you spray paint the HC is it ok to spray the barbs as well?

There are versions of the 77 Bville w/o AC (2-199) (GDI# 398219) that are perfectly suited for 1/2" tubing. You cut the inlets to about an inch and a half from the tank, and they are right at 5/8" which will stretch over easily. However the 2-199 is made in several different versions which are undifferentiable (by product number or other moniker) except by actually looking at them. One has a good inlet 5/8" and one crimped outlet that is 3/4" all the way to the tank, which is a pain in the *** and would be a hard fit especially for narrow thickness tubing. Another version has 5/8" inlets and outlet but a huge bulb on one that you simply hack off. The Bville with AC (2-302) apperantly has appropriate inlets but both are crimped at the tanks, and per weapons instructions, should generally be replaced by barbs. Refer here for full information on the subject of Bville cores.

The ones I have seen have had two different diameter pipes, but usually the larger tube shrinks down to the size of the other before it enters the core. You can cut the pipe at that point and get the size needed to fit 1/2 tubing over it.

W/ AC
2fittingscloseup.jpg

W/O AC
ch1.1core.jpg

I would recommend looking at it before you buy it.

Think I will either go with a Danger Den so there is no guesswork. I shouldn't lose too much cooling with the DD right?

I just thought of something. I'm going with a top case mount for the HC, fan, and shrouds. I wanted to have my fans showing on the top of the case, which would mean the the barbs would be facing up, which is not good for tubing. If the barbs were facing the fans would be on top and I'm assuming that is backwards and would be wrong. Am I right?

There is no right or wrong way that the core has to be facing...
The fans can be mounted on "top" pulling with the barbs on the core pointing down. Simply put, there isnt one particular way that the HC fins need to be facing for best airflow.

jackrungh said:
There is no right or wrong way that the core has to be facing...
The fans can be mounted on "top" pulling with the barbs on the core pointing down. Simply put, there isnt one particular way that the HC fins need to be facing for best airflow.
Great to hear. Thanks!

Back