• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forcefully enable UDMA mode for hdd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klingens

I have an ECS K7S5A with SIS735 chipset. I recently added another disk to the first IDE channel. This disk (slave) doesn't have DMA enabled even if the setting stands on "DMA if available" it still runs in PIO mode. The first disk happily uses DMA and always did, no special action necessary.
Can anyone recommend a utility for windows like hdparm so I can forcefully enable UDMA? My system is a dog otherwise with really strange "lag" spikes.

Check in the BIOS (normally under "Integrated Peripherals") to make sure the "Slave Drive Ultra DMA" setting is set to "AUTO", and the "Slave Drive PIO Mode" setting is also set to "Auto". Also, check the "IDE Channel1 Slave" setting under "Standard CMOS Features"...and make sure the "Access Mode" is set to "LBA", not "CHS" or "Auto".

Thanks. that was it: the second drive was declared" not installed" in the BIOS. Now it runs at UDMA5 as it should

Back