• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Extremely Slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I have a friend who's laptop a Dell Inspiron 2650 who Window XP Home is extremely slow, both the normal desktop and the internet. Scanned for Adware and Spyware both clean. I noticed in the hardware that there is no COM port. Can anyone help?

How much RAM? If it is 128, that is the problem, if it is 256, that may still be the problem.

Try tweaking her service config, and make sure startup items and tasks running in the background are kept at a minimum.

been there, and yes the memory is 128mb, she said it was running fine and then all of sudden it got bad. She also said she had some viruses, plus it hasn't been updated, I did that, but it takes so long its ridiculous.

but that doesn't explain the sudden increase in performance. I mean the thing crawls.

Let me sum up what I did
1. Check Msconfig, no suspicious items, booting the bare minimum
2. Defrraged the HD
3. Upgrade up to and not including sp2, downloading it
4. Ran Ad-Aware 6.0 with latest defintions found nothing
5. Ran McAffee and then uninstalled and installed Nortons. Found Nothing.
6. Checked in Hardware Manager no conflicts just noticed that there was no COM port listed just an LPT
7. Removed Un-used windows Components

Press windows+r and type msinfo32 and hit enter...

Expand components, and select problem devices and let us know if anything is listed there.

Also, check task manager and make sure there is nothing taking up disproportionate amounts of RAM.

Press windows+break, select the advanced tab and click on performance settings button. Select the option there for best performance... Using the interface which looks like w2k can help without the visual styles. You can also disable the themes service. (go to www.blackviper.com for help on service tweaking if you aren't completley familiar with it)

I really think she may just be imagining the change... 128 just doesn't run well on XP.

If you can...
Make an image of the drive... Keep it somewhere nice. Then forma the laptop like there's no tomorrow... install a nice copy of XP with SP2 intergrated... if it's still slow she needs more RAM. If it's much better like it used to be... then start installing things she needs again.

If you tried reinstalling windows and still going slow then your friend laptop's hard drive was over-worked and now lost its performance. 128MB is not acceptable and it's #1 reason for over-worked HDs and I've seen tons of Desktops and Laptops specially DELL (aka smELL) hard drives go so slow after about 1 year of usage

I have never heard of or seen a hard drive "go slow" from being used... I have seen hard drives show tell-tale signs of failure, however, normal operation that is just slow is different than long periods of unresponsiveness which would indicate a HDD problem.

You should see the DELLs at my old work these PCs used to be good new till after about 1.5yrs of usage and they got really slow and we image thses suckers every semaster!

If these are open lab computers... I think it a leap of faith to think the difference in overall speed of the machines is due to a change in hard drive performance over time. Making an assessment on that would require before and after benchmarking to have any kind of accurate guess.

A lot has changed for that lab PC situation in the past year and a half. Spam and spyware has exploded to astronomic proportions, and I wouldn't expect any public access systems which aren't VERY locked down to last an entire semester on a single image.

The open labs on the KSU campus have been running the same machines for the past couple years, which are dells, and they run like they are brand new - they run deep freeze however and they are rebooted nightly, so there is no software to bog them down.

Don't forget you are an overclockers and you know better about providing enough cooling for your HD. Most manufacturers care about low cost with nice numbers than making efficently cooled off systems

Here is another example for these companies being really cheap

the stupid IT decided to buy more of these PCs and decided to buy the nice gateways for the multimedia lab, 5 out of 20 had graphic card problems due cooling problems!

If you look closely at many DELLs they really have not much HD cooling, so don't be suprised :)

Cheers,

Fadi

What I am saying is that where I work, we support commercial systems on a VERY large scale - tens of thousands of systems at various ages and in various models. In proportion to this, we see all kinds of problems every day and part of my job is to figure out as many of them as possible. I also spend a lot of time in public computing facilities so I know a little about that. My experience is probably broader than someone who is just overclocking his own PC.

I have never seen a slowness problem on a PC that can be attributed to the HDD "going slow" and you have no direct evidence to support your opinion that HDD's can "go slow" after any amount of time - it sounds like hocus pocus to me and there is likely an underlieing issue which isn't understood wherever you are basing your perspective from.

Insufficient cooling can shorten the MTBF of a drive, however a drive doesn't just slow down... It either works, or begins to show signs of failure, one of which is not a general system slowness.

about Spyware and adware, these systems are locked down and these PCs are behind nice giant firewall sever that filters all junks I guarntee you I've never seen even 1 spyware except for cookie spyware. I'm talking about 5yrs experince with many different models and generations! My job was to find ways to go around being destructive and report to the IT to have more locks on.

I just moved out for grad school so don't have my old HDs that I extracted from few of these PCs they are supposed to be WD 5400RPM HDs they still work but very slowly and you can compare to an older HD model Fujitsu 4500RPM but with minimal usage. well guess what the 4500RPM HD works faster if you like it or don't like it

I specifically done experiments (that I wasn't supposed be doing) and abused different PCs (I'm not going to say HOW = trouble) and for sure you find different performances after 2yrs of abuse

so yea RAM does help in protecting HD from over-working and yea over-worked HDs can stay for few years working till their ULTIMATE death!

I've seen most of slowness with WD & Seagate, for Maxtor usually just works or doesn't at all. JUST TRUST ME ON THIS I've seen about 100 cases!

Dr. Fadi

Congratulations on your doctorate, however I'm still not buying without any documentation. If this were an actual issue, there would be documentation of this situation available on the net and I am not aware of any nor have you shared anything but personal conjecture. But we don't have to agree... Maybe I'll start a thread in storage about this topic however as it seems somewhat interesting.

What is your situation dicceca? Have you tried anything that has helped? I really think her system is just hitting the pagefile too much and its just going to be somewhat slow no matter what you do until you increase the RAM.

Back