• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Windows XP won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daba

I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe which I recently flashed the BIOS to 1017. Turns out after the flash Windows would boot to the welcome screen then just shut off, or it will just shut off after the boot screen.

I tried the following steps:
1. Flash back to 1016. Windows still restarts.
2. Used WinXP CD recovery console and ran chkdsk /r. Fixed problems, but still restarts after typing in password in welcome screen.
3. Used Recovery Console to fixboot.
4. Ran to Safe Mode. Windows restarts after entering in administrative password.

I am really clueless and I have to access my Outlook file as I have work to do tonight! Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Try resetting CMOS, and loading either "Optimized Defaults" or "Failsafe Defaults" in the BIOS. I'm not familiar w/ the P4P BIOS structure, so the "Defaults" setting name may be called something different...maybe something like "Load Factory Defaults".

Back