• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper cleaner???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

the inside of my Whitewater waterblock is all nasty and oxideized, anyone know of agood cleaner to make it look like new?

Try these.

If it needs to be liquid to pour in the inside, just omit the baking soda/ flour/ creme of tartar.

:cool:

Last edited:
you might want to take it apart and use a paste or something to get it cleaned real good. or use a liquid that jack posted.

~Magick_Man~

The vinegar 'w dash of salt works suddenly and should not be used to soak or it will eventually form a splendid blue oxide. I think the best procedure is to boil the block in diluted vinegar (with salt) for half a minute, then flush thoroughly with water.

Why is the block oxidised?

thanks alot

how much should i dilute the viniger

i dont know why exactly it has oxidized
when i first got the setup the radiator was full ofsome sort of stuff that coated just about everything, it oxidized while the stuff was in there, i flushed it out, but the inside of the WB is still oxidized obviously

Last edited:
just mix equal parts of regular cooking vinegar (no dilution) and slt, stir it up and allow the salt to encorperate, boil, dip 30 seconds, rinse

i just take a small container like a tupperware thing, fill it with ordinary white vineager, put the copper item in, and leave it for 10 minutes, take it out, flush with distilled water, and it's done. i think the salt is what causes the blue oxide when the vineager/selt method is used, so i just use straight vineager.

TheGreySpectre said:
how much should i dilute the viniger

Vinegar is just acetic acid already diluted something like 5% with water. You could use straight vinegar. Exacting proportions would be like measuring out the soap and water for washing your hands.

The salt isn't necessary. I know that without salt straight vinegar and/or ammonia plus air does rapidly tarnish copper as I use these for faux antique treatment. Very important to thoroughly flush the block after pickling or you will have an object not useful but beautiful!

Ketchup is a paste containing vinegar. You can use it with a toothbrush.

You will get fine results with a small pot of simmering water, a few jiggers of vinegar, and a splash of salt or not. Don't go to the store for this.

TheGreySpectre said:
i dont know why exactly it has oxidized
when i first got the setup the radiator was full ofsome sort of stuff that coated just about everything, it oxidized while the stuff was in there, i flushed it out, but the inside of the WB is still oxidized obviously

Aluminum radiator?

ammonia in a heated ultrasonic cleaner works quite well
for those with access to one

Last edited:
Back