• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a MOBO with the following stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Dual Channel DDR2, SATA "on-board raid", PCI-E 16x & options to overclock. For an Intel Chip Is there a board that has all of that stuff ? or no :) I am just going to upgrade, and thats what I would like to get my hands on so i dont have to upgrade for another year or two, first chip i will be putting in there is just something to hold me over untill i can save a bit more money to buy something better/faster, but this first chip will be a Celeron D, either 2.4Ghz or 2.66Ghz.

One more question, I know you can run one channel in a dual channel mobo, but would it really be 50% slower ? Bandwidth wise ? I was thinking of picking up

OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X256MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER
512MB(256MB x 2 modules), CL 2-2-3-6 1T, 200 (400) MHz, 184 Pin Dimm, Unbuffered
, but I really wanted 1GB of ram at the very least, so if I were to buy one 512MB stick now and another later would it make that big of a difference ?

are these all ? atm...?

Asus P5AD2 Deluxe
Asus P5AD2 Premium
Asus P5GD2
Asus P5GD2 Deluxe
Asus P5GD2 Premium
Asus P5GDC Deluxe
Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe

Why on earth would you take a brand new LGA-775 platform with DDR2 and run it with a Celeron? A Celeron would completely strangle the rest of the platform.

Last edited:
JKeefe said:
Why on earth would you take a brand new LGA-775 platform with DDR2 and run it with a Celeron? A Celeron wouls completely strangle the rest of the platform.

only at first like i said, eventually "within a month or so" i would pick up a prescott :)

I'm confused.

First of all, arn't ALL LGA775's Prescotts?

Second, how can you use that ram? You can use DDR1 in DDR2 boards?

And Celerons arn't THAT bad. It wont kill him to run one until he gets a p4. :p

Foxie3a said:
I'm confused.

First of all, arn't ALL LGA775's Prescotts?

Second, how can you use that ram? You can use DDR1 in DDR2 boards?

And Celerons arn't THAT bad. It wont kill him to run one until he gets a p4. :p

Yes, all LGA775 CPUs are Prescotts, even the Celeron LGA775 processors.

The first post said he was looking for a DDR2 mobo. It never said anything about using DDR1 in a DDR2 mobo (which you can't do). Some i915 LGA mobos use DDR1 and a couple mobos have two sets of dimms for either DDR1 or DDR2. As far as I know, all i925 mobos use only DDR2 RAM.

Personally, I would just get the P-4 instead of messing with the Celeron first, but to each their own. If he wants to use a Celeron at first, then that's ok with me. Not everyone is made of money.

To answer a question in the first post... dual channel DDR really does "almost" double memory bandwidth (not quite double, but close to it). One stick will work ok though, you'll just have a bit of a performance hit.

Um, if i remeber right, most tests show that dual channel ram does indeed close to double bandwidth, but yet it for "use" dosent do more then 5% in the end...

Offcourse, i just might not remeber right, since when ever i try i get pissed, my setup is unstable when not using dual channel mode for some reason.
B!

Back