• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can i OC w/my Neo2-FIS2R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
I have the following hardware config:
MSI Neo2-FIS2R
p4 2.6c
Stock cooling
1gb(2x 512mb corsair xms pc3700)
3x 40gb maxtor
480w silentpurepower thermaltake
XaserIII v2000a

Im not sure how much of a gain i'd get by getting a better HSF
im currently going @ 3.25ghz idle 40C load 60C
with my mem runing at 316mhz or so

so, my question is how far could i push my processor on this board using either air or water

thanks
-d94

Wow with the memeory and powersupply you have the sky is the limit ( or should I say that your CPU will deterime the limit :p )

im currently going @ 3.25ghz idle 40C load 60C
with my mem runing at 316mhz or so
I am not sure of what you mean by " my memory is at 316mhz??

Are you running it with a 1:1 divider? If you hit a brick wall you could run it with a 5:4 and make up the loss in memory bandwith with a higher FSB

dave

that was a typo i meant 416mhz lol

So I am asuming that you are running a 5:4 divider right . If thats the case you have plenty of head room !

Before you buy another heatsink I would reccommed adding a duct to your case to get the temps down ( see my signature for some tips ) as this dropped my temps like a rock when I overclocked my 2.8E

As you know prescotts run Hot!!! and mine was no exception. When I first installed my temps were 60C at idle and over 70C under a load . After adding the duct they dropped to 42C at idle and never get above 54C using the stock hsf overclocked at 3.59

Just for giggles I added a duct to my daughters 2.4B which is running at 2.9 and saw the same temp drops using just the stock HSF

watch the heat and inch up that FSB ( you did lock the agp/pci bus , disable spread specturm , disable DOT, kick up the memory voltage to 2.8 and all the other normal overclocking tricks right?)

if the heat becomes a problem then add a duct with a fan
Hope this helps

let us know how it turns out
Good Luck
Dave

onfortunatly i cant cut any new holes on the side of my case since there's already two fans they're,
newpc.jpg

Thermaltake_V2000A_open400.gif

but the fan on the top is level with the CPU, so i should be able to make the duct going slightly sideways?

it runs stable up to 3.31ghz
then, when i go to 3.4 i get the blue screen of death...
which says:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
then it starts doing a memory dump

then, when i go to 3.4 i get the blue screen of death...
which says:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
then it starts doing a memory dump

Ok now we are getting somewhere
this is a common problem , just bump up your memory volts to 2.7 or 2.8 ( which ever is the lowest setting that your system will run stable) .

If that does not work disable "By SPD" and set everything manually

another thing you might want to try is only run 512 of memory as I remember reading that this board had a hard time running 1 gig overclocked . Just try it to see if it is your problem if bumping the voltage does not work.

this should cure your problems

if not come on over to the MSI forums and post as there are many good people over there ( including me :beer: ) who can help

Dave

PS - Nice case , add the duct

Nice case , add the duct

I agree totally, or at the very least cut out a circle in the polycarb so the fan doesn't have to suck air through some tiny holes... by having just the holes there, you're increasing the noise and reducing the lifespan of your fan. Do you have any tools that would allow you to cut through the polycarb? i.e dremel, jigsaw, hole saw...etc.

That should give you a significant drop in temps.

BTW, nice setup and Welcome to the Forums:)

-Meatball

thanks for the welcome Meatball..
SUCCESS!
Im glad i found these forums.
I ran superpi succesfully and got 43 Seconds! (when i had the core @ less 2.555 volts it would get and error and stop in the middle)
my mem is set as 333mhz, so currently OC'D i think its going @ 433mhz or so....the FSB is @ 262mhz and w/stock cooling its @ 42C.. load temp is not yet sure since i read this post in the morning and am currently @ school
guess i'll have to see high high i can go tonight...
according to my calculation, if i have my mem running @ 366mhz then my cpu will be right around 3.8ghz. and knowing that the mem can do around 513mhz, the sky's the limit!(well, the limiting factor will probably be the heat).
looks like a 1.2ghz+ FSB is likely..

Toolwise.. i have a dremel and a jigsaw(and drills. ext)
I spotted in that there was a forum about modding the case i have, but if i do it i want it to be clean. would it be a difficult project to do?

Toolwise.. i have a dremel and a jigsaw(and drills. ext)

Excellent, personally I'd use the dremel just because it'll make a cleaner cut than the jigsaw would... especially with an 80mm fan hole. I'd post a thread or look at the threads in the modding section b/c the guys over there can tell you what's the best bit for your dremel and what speed to set it at to cut polycarb the best. Even if the hole doesn't turn out the best... you can do your best cleaning it up and then get a wire grill and you'll never notice.

Or you can just buy another sheet of polycarb.. I bought a 2' x 2' sheet of 1/4" thick polycarb for 30 bucks and it was overkill on the thickness.... you could probably get a 1/8" thick for about 20 bucks and then cut it yourself. There's a sticky in the modding section about what polycarb to get if you're curious.

Good Luck oc'ing tonight :)

-Meatball

the highest i could get the thing to boot was 3.51
but when it started to load the OS (before i saw the xp screen) the whole screen turned black.. this was when the vcore was @ 1.8V and the mem was @ 332mhz
the highest speed i could get it to boot was @ 3.44ghz 1.7v mem @ 220 i believe
windows worked, superpi worked, but prime95 had errors on the first test :(
any ideas? i wonder why i cant reach the 3.6mark or even the 3.5

d94, This is a shot in the dark But I do remember reading over at the MSI boards something about the fact that this board as in many MSI boards experence a problem overclocking when using 1 gig of memory

I seem to remeber something about " stressing" the northbridge but I am not sure

Is your board an 875 or 865 chipset?

Maybe you could pull out 512meg and see if you still hit the " Brick Wall"

In the mean time I am going to see if I can find that post and read it again

Dave

hm...ill have to give that a go!
my mobo is a 865

-d94

i can now boot at 3.6ghz! (w/512mb ram) @ 1.8V
if i were to stick the other stick in the same channel, would 1gb of single channel be ok?
although it booted, i could not load windows because the proc was @ 60C in the bios, so it got too hot when i got to that level..guess i might buy a new cooler
before i had it that high, when i first turned on my comp i ran it @ 3.57ghz w/1.2ghzfsb and it booted to windows! but, then the temp skyrocked in the middle of superpi and it froze!
but, at 3.44ghz all seems to be well
I ran it in prime 95 and it a got a error within the first minute :(
any ideas on what i could do to stabilize my comp?

thanks
-d94

if i were to stick the other stick in the same channel, would 1gb of single channel be ok?
Not sure ?? I am still trying to find that article where it stated that 1 gig stressed the northbridge ( I am not sure if I saw it here or over at the MSI forums)

although it booted, i could not load windows because the proc was @ 60C in the bios, so it got too hot when i got to that level..guess i might buy a new cooler

I am not to sure I would put to much faith in what the Bios is reporting
MSI bios have a problem reporting temps.
Just go over the the MSI boards and do a search and you will be surprised at how much of a problem this is
It seems that the MSI engineers are having a challange calabrating the bios for both the northwood and a prescott
When they get it right for a northy the screw up the prescott. then they release another and the prescott is correct then the northy is wacked out
I have never seen so many Bios releases in such a short period of time.
Are you using any other program such as Speed Fan?
I found this to be a much better and more acurate program

If you are then I agree you need a better cooler. you could try some sort of make shift duct from the sade fan that is in the case .
Boy mine dropped my temps lock a rock :thup:

This might be a dumb question ( forgive me if it is ) but you do you have "Spread Spectrum" disabled right?

Dave

yup, its disabled :)
this whole thing is very inturesting....when i had my mem running dual channel and my [email protected] 1.7v
prime95 failed within the first minute (means it a mem error) and was around 75C :eek:
but, while playing around i changed the voltage to 1.6v in the bios and and it booted up... now, iv been running prime 95 for 20 min, no errors, cpu temp @ 42C (idle) and 45C when using WMP and browsing the web
1096735305.JPG

ill run it all night tonight and see how it is in the morning...
if all goes well ill see how high i can push it :D

-d94

Last edited:
cpu_multimediea_3.4ghz_copy3.jpg

any others you want to see?

-d94

Last edited:
Back