• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alrighty, so I am at Home Depot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad ConNecTioN

And I was walking down an aisle when I passed some dripping fountains. I initially walked passed them, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks....Would one of these work as a bong cooler?

Here are a couple examples.

This one has little channels that water drips out of to another row of channels. It does this all the way down...
http://www.simplyfountains.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=KF039

This one lets the water flow over a rough surface as it goes down...
http://www.simplyfountains.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=KF041

When I was at Home Depot I felt the water in the unit and it was cooler than ambient. Now, whether or not it can cool a PC is unknown to me. I was interested becuase the one I saw was much cheaper than the ones above. It looke nice aswell. I would do a typical bong setup but I don't want a PVC tub uglying up my work space.

Anyone have any insite?

The problem with those sorts of foutains is that there is usually once continuous stream or vein of water all the way down, even the first example with a more droplet configuration is nothing when compared to the particulate droplet creation by the typical bond setup. There would simply be too large an amount of water unavailible for evap. (under the surface of the sheet, etc.)

Well, the one I saw at Home Depot was $150. It had two waterchannels that used the entire fountain surface on the way down (after about 4"s).
I can see how most of the water would be under the surface layer. I wonder if more turbulance was introduced it would cool a little better.

As the most effecient result, you are looking for massive amounts of droplets, whereas these waterfall type things just dont provide the sort of aperture that makes it possible. Yes it would look cool... but to really do it well itd be better to get really into it, research all you can research, and then construct some tower which pulls off the same groovy ambiance affect but achieves that adequate parameters for evaporation.

If you are really interested in such a project, I would look forward to reviewing your work log.

Good luck

I was impressed by the same thing. I just would not have the water from that fountain going through my system. Maybe incorporate a heat exchanger into the fountain. The water was cooler than the surroundings. I actually stuck a Digital probe into the flow. at the time the air temp was 78F, the Water was at 72F!
(BTW: The Home Depot employees were not impressed, Just dunno why. It was my probe that I really did purchase moments earlier!) :mad:

I looked at Home Depot yesterday and could not find them. My old lady wants one for a decoration so I figure I could spend a little time tinkering with it to see if it would work. Not sure it will support the GPH needed for watercooling.

Do you have a link to their product you saw at Home Depot?

Jeff

umm how do u plan on keeping things from growing and corrosion and clogging? Would you put antifreeze and let antifreeze evap into the environment?

situman said:
umm how do u plan on keeping things from growing and corrosion and clogging? Would you put antifreeze and let antifreeze evap into the environment?

The water in the fountain would not be the water flowing through my system. My system would still use a closed loop with a heat exhanger in the reservoir of the fountain.
The water in the fountain would be just plain water....with some rubbing alchohol added to prevent algea. It would obviosly need a refil every couple weeks or so.

It would just be easier to build a bong and do something to make it look nice.

Back