• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will PC4400 work well with an A64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well what processor will you be using? AMD64 systems seem to perform real well at low latencies and 1T. I would say some of the best RAM out for the AMD64's is OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev 2, OCZ EB series, Corsair XMS XL and crucial Ballistix.

The high-end Hynix-based memory actually doesn't perform as well on Athlon 64 as the new PC-3200 Platinum Rev. 2, which is based on Samsung ICs. I have been recommending that memory for anybody looking to push their A64 systems.

I don't think that ram will be a good choice because it's 2 sticks and it looks like double sided ram, so the motherboard will only be able to use one stick of it.
That's the issue i'm having with my computer in sig, i have 2 sticks of 512 kingston hyperx, but the board can only support one stick of it. :(

ok wait a minute. If i set the A64 multi to a lower number, then i will be able to get 275 fsb, which matched my Geil PC4400. will the Geil PC4400 (dual channel) work with the A64 on a NF3 250Gb???? Is it true that this mobo/cpu combo doesnt accept double sided ram????

Ok i screwed around with my ram a bit more, and it's really flaky, basically if i run them under 166MHz it detects both and posts fine, but if i increase it a little bit the computer will not give me display, when i remove the second stick and reboot it works fine.
If your looking to get those kinds of speeds you might want to check the DFI boards manual online for more info about it.

Liquid_Cooled said:
ok wait a minute. If i set the A64 multi to a lower number, then i will be able to get 275 fsb, which matched my Geil PC4400. will the Geil PC4400 (dual channel) work with the A64 on a NF3 250Gb???? Is it true that this mobo/cpu combo doesnt accept double sided ram????

Yes it will work but the socket 754 is single channel. Socket 939 is dual channel. The most bandwidth I have ever seen from 754 is around 5,500MB/s.

SeanOMatic said:
The high-end Hynix-based memory actually doesn't perform as well on Athlon 64 as the new PC-3200 Platinum Rev. 2, which is based on Samsung ICs. I have been recommending that memory for anybody looking to push their A64 systems.
thx alot. someone told me that hyperX was the way to go for this new system i'm helping my friend build. i was going to go with some OCZ at first but he convinced me otherwise. now i'm gonna get some of that OCZ. 1gb(2x512) of OCZ for this system!!!

Back