• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with memory upgrade for HP Pavilion 7940

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrive

I recently bought 256mb of Kingston memory to upgrade my HP Pavilion 7940. By all of the information that I've gathered, it should be compatible with my system.

This is my computer.

This is what I bought.

And this is what Kingston's site recommend for my computer.

Now, I understand that there wasn't much information available for the recommended memory, but I didn't just get all of the other specs out of nowhere. I checked Crucial and this is what they recommended. So I used that info to find the memory that I bought.

So I installed it and it's not showing up on my system info. I tried switching the sticks around in the slots, and that hasn't fixed it either. After a bit of investigating, it seemed that it could be possible that I need to update my BIOS. Problem is that I'm having a hard time finding exactly what I need to download to do this - Intel's site only has a graphics driver available for the 810e chipset, and I found this , but I'm not even sure if it's the right thing and I can't download it anyway because I have XP now.

So first, did I buy memory that's not compatible with my computer? Because from what I can tell (not that I'm really knowledgeable about this), it should be. And second, if it is compatible, is there a way for me to update my BIOS that I haven't managed to find yet or should I just forget it and buy something else?

Thanks. -Xdrive's girlfriend

Thats the wrong memory for the 7940, stick with what Crucial suggested. Your system uses low density double bank, the memory you purchased was high density single bank with 32x8 IC's. Those high density modules only work with Intel chipsets 815 or later.

Ahh, I see. I kept trying to figure out where I made my mistake and I guess I overlooked that part. Thank you very much. :)

Back