• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

desktop icons copy again and again....help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

Hi all

I'm running Xp with SP2 installed (yesterday infact). I'm having a problem with desktop icons reproducing themselves when moved. How do I stop this? :confused: WTF

I also have Norton, AdawareSE, Spybot and ZoneAlarm.

I won't blame this problem on SP2, but since it's been intalled I've had more problems in a day then I've had in a year. :confused:

Thanks for your help.

I'm having a problem with desktop icons reproducing themselves when moved
What do you mean the icons are reproducing themselves when moved? Do you mean when you drag a desktop shortcut to a different location on the desktop, with the intention of moving it there...a shortcut is created instead? If this is the case, do you have any of the "Align to grid" or "Automatically arrange..." options checked? Right-click on an empty area of the desktop and look at your icon settings.

Last edited:
I was using excel and moving the files I had located on my desktop. When I moved file "yellow" or any other file name to a new location on my desktop the file would copy itself, and the new file would be called "copy of yellow" and then "copy of copy of yellow" and so on until my desktop was full of duplicated files, and my computer then crashed. I couldn't even put these files in the trash as my trashcan would then duplicate.

I right clicked on the desktop and I don't have any of the boxes you mentioned checked.

When I right click on any desktop icon I get an error message saying "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger error" and then I must use task manager to close Drwatson down to gain back control of my pc.

I did a quick search and found another user here who has experienced the Drwatson error.....is it safe to say I got a bad install of SP2....should I just whipe my drive...or what?

Thanks for your help.

Try running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

Back