• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Sound issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F4

Red Raccoon Dojo
Hello,
I'm having a problem since installing service pack 2, since I put it in, I cannot seem to get any sound.

The drivers for both my on-board sound and my Sound Blaster 16 are installed, but when I go into my Sounds & Audio devices control panel extension, it tells me that there is No Audio Device.

I have tried removing and re-installing all audio drivers, but no success yet.

If anyone has any suggestions (besides removing the service pack), I would appreciate it.

Troubleshooting.

For some strange reason, even when I turn it off in BIOS windows still detects it. I had disabled it before, but since putting in SP2 I re-enabled it to see if it would work, but it's not working either.

If you still have the drivers/software installed for either the SB16 or the onboard sound...remove them using Add or Remove Programs. Next, open Device Manager and expand "Sound, video and game controllers" | Right click any sound related devices and select "Uninstall" (the option to uninstall won't be available for any native "Legacy" sound devices) | Uninstall all sound related devices before rebooting. IOW...make sure your system is completely clean of all sound related software and drivers before continuing.

Reboot, and depending on whether you want to use the onboard sound or the SB16, either disable the onboard sound chip in the BIOS...or remove the SB16. When you get back to the desktop, Windows will redetect the newly added hardware and will search for the appropriate drivers. If you have a software/driver disk that came w/ the SB16 or your MB, cancel out of the "Add New Hardware" wizard...and install the software manually.

Last edited:
Meaning what exactly? Did you remove the SB16, and just enable the onboard sound?...or did you disable the onboard sound, and install the SB16? Either way, the PCI card or the onboard sound device still doesn't show up in Device Manager? Do they show up in DM, just with yellow exclamation points? Did you completely remove all sound related drivers and software from your system, then reboot? Did the "Add New Hardware" wizard ever pop up when you got back to the desktop?

In addition, what are your system specs besides a SB16 and XP w/ SP2?

I disabled the on-board sound. Both devices show up in device manager, with no errors reported (no ! point) (which is what they have always done, and I've had no problems until I put in SP2).

I have disabled the driver for the on-board sound now (so it has a red X next to it), and checked the device properties for my SB16 in the device manager and "Use audio features on this device" is selected.

And yes, even with the on-board sound disabled in BIOS, windows still detects it (although if I try to play music with it disabled, I can't hear anything). I realize it shouldn't, but it always has, no matter what I set the bios to.

I went into Add/Remove programs and removed anything sound related, then went into device manager and uninstalled any sound device drivers that it would let me remove, and rebooted.

Before I let it boot, I went into my computers BIOS and disabled the on-board sound.

When it booted, windows came up and I saw the little yellow balloon pop up, and tell me that windows had found new hardware, and then it proceeded to install device drivers without any intervention on my behalf.

When it was done, it told me that my hardware was ready to use, and so I went into control panel, and then the Sounds and Audio Devices applet, where it still lists "No Audio Device", under the volume tab, and also under the playback tab, the only option I have on the pulldown menu is "Modem #0 Line Playback".

If I go to the hardware tab, bot the AC97 sound is listed, and so is the "Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373)", both say the device is working properly, everything looks fine in the Device Manager.

Here's the rest of my specs:

ESC K7S5a mobo
512MB DDR Ram
Athlon 1600+
1x Promise Fastrack TX200 Raid Card with 2x Western Digital 80GB 8mb cache
1x 56k Intel Hardware Modem
1x Generic Firewire card
1x ATI Radeon 9600Pro
1x LG 8x DVD-RW

Also, I don't know if this relates to my sound issue or not, but since installing SP2, the system properties window comes up everytime I boot my computer, and the Hardware tab is selected.

I can remember reading about the issue with the System Properties window opening at startup, but I can't seem to remember the fix or the cause offhand...I'll have to think about it some more. If you haven't done so already, run virus and spyware scans just to be on the safe side.

I updated and ran an Ad-Aware scan just prior to the installation of Service Pack 2, and I am running an up-to-date version of Norton Antivirus, I have just started a full system scan to be on the safe side (as I haven't done a full scan in about a month). I won't know if it caught anything untill I get home from work.

Well....a format and re-install seemed to fix the problem.

Back