• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where are my mosfets!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billiam

I have an AI7, and im not sure which ones are mosfets and pll. I want to buy enough heatsinks to cover them.

4d4238365f41424954414937.jpg

I think that the temp of the mosfet is whats limiting my overclock. Running the mosfets at 1.575V, 3.0 @ 3.5ghz, the mosfets are about 80 degrees on load. When i do 1.650v, where i can get 3.75ghz, when mosfet get above 120 on full load, it crashes. So i believe that this might be causing my overclock to not be as desired?

Im planning to use this kit:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/michcokit.html

Which thermal adhesive should i use, AS or AA

Should i also sink my southbridge?

There are lot of big black chips, how many are there? I want to make sure that i buy enough heatsinks and pll sinks

There are 2 larger mosfets and something like 18 smaller ones, although the main ones you need to worry about are the ones to the right and above the main ATX power connector and to the right and above the CPU socket. Mosfets are square black components that lie flat on the mobo.

Ehh, I have a question that is also relevant to the title. I seem to be missing what looks to be 2 mosfets located at the top right of the cpu bracket. I can clearly see the empty spot for one but not two that I guess fell off when i pulled a chipsink off of there. Is this an extremely bad thing? Should I see if Abit will give me a replacement board or something?

Thanks again batboy, you've been such a great help. Also thanks to wannaoc for the link. Do you guys think the mosfet is limiting my OC or my chip is?

Actually, after closer inspection, I am definitely missing 3 mosfets.... Seriously, my computer isn't hooked up yet or anything. Should I be concerned about this?

coolai7.jpg

The smaller square ones are the MOSFETs.
The longer (2 of them are marked red) are other ICs. (Used this pic somewhere else)

*EDIT* Looks like I've missed to mark some more of them to the right of the socket in this picture, between the coils.
I hope you get the point :cool:

I should sink all of those? Will the mosfet sinks that you buy cover those, because those seem to be very small. Batboy said that you only needed to sink the 2 near the atx plug.

Sorry, I don't have the board myself, I made that image a while ago for a friend. I just wanted to clarify what a MOSFET was.

batboy said:
the main ones you need to worry about are the ones to the right and above the main ATX power connector and to the right and above the CPU socket.

so do i need to sink all 18 of the mosfets. where would i buy the bigger and smaller heatsinks for the mosfets?

I'm planning on "sinking" the mosfets on my IC7 for some prescott action in the upcoming weeks.
I'll take an old PentiumII aluminium heatsink and cut in various sizes.
In some places it is possible to cover 2, or even 3 fets with only one heatsink.
I think it would be possible to sink the ai7 with only 7-8 sinks.

batboy said:
There are 2 larger mosfets and something like 18 smaller ones, although the main ones you need to worry about are the ones to the right and above the main ATX power connector and to the right and above the CPU socket. Mosfets are square black components that lie flat on the mobo.

I didn't say just the two next to the ATX connector. I said the mosfets near the ATX connector and around the CPU socket. That's quite a few on the AI7. About the only heatsinks that I personally know of off hand that will fit the smaller mosfets are the Microcool microsinks (see link). I'm sure there are other sinks around if you look or you can cut your own down from bigger heatsinks.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/memandvidcar.html

Back