• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a NB-1C improve my OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChuckS

Will replacing the stock NB heatsink improve my OC? I was looking at the NB-1C at Newegg, but not sure if it'll make any difference in my OC.

For those of you who've replaced the stock cooler, does it make a difference in your OC?

System spec in signature...Thanks

I have tried many NB coolers - 2x NB-1C, NB-1, MCX159-P, TT Tiger 1. Honestly, none of them made a difference in getting a better OC. But my highest OC is only FSB 250. Above this is when better cooling may come into play. However, the king of FSB overclocking (Hipro5) only used a TT Tiger 1 for one of his recent records, and that's the least effective of the NB coolers listed above. The NB-1C is a quality NB cooler with good retention, but the fan has an annoying pitch, so I undervolt the fan (7-8v) and it doesn't hurt temps. Point is, since you've reached FSB 292 according to your sig, better NB cooling may only give you a couple more if that, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I got to agree with KrisMCool....getting myself an expensive nb cooler such as the Swifty ones is complete crap. Nothing else but asthetics. I had the same results with the stock nb cooler with an added fan ontop.......It really all depends to the cpu/ram combo you got and how much voltage are you goin to throw at them.....

Vflux

I replace stock cooler didn't help I got better improvement by changing and applying right amount of thermal compound

till fsb around 270 and with voltage of 1.6V passive cooling did well on my board. above 280 with 1.7-1.8V volatge it definetely asked for better cooling.

Back