• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double Thermochill vs. Double Heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well let me start off this isnt for a price vs performance thread, its purely performance vs performance the money isnt a problem and ive come downt to these two choices, ill be running dual blocks (cpu and gpu) on the dd 12v pump.Which is better? I couldnt find a definite answer on the thread so i thought i would create one. Thanks guys. Also if it ends up being the thermochill do i need to put a shroud on it? It has pre-drilled screw holes and im wondering if i could just slap on 2 120mm fans and let that baby fly?

A singlepass heatercore will beat the thermochill.

It's also less restrictive, which equals more flow, which equals lower cpu temps.

sandman001 said:
A singlepass heatercore will beat the thermochill.

It's also less restrictive, which equals more flow, which equals lower cpu temps.
It will? I need proof of that please...

Circaflex said:
anyone else have any good info? I dont want to go by one guys opion/proof
One will perform better than the other, however, you are likely to not be able to detect any temp difference between the 2. The single pass rad will be less restrictive in the water department, but perhaps more restrictive with the fannage. Unfortunately, there is no definate answer to your question.

The reason that most here will tell you to get a HC is that buying BIX will set you back 50 or 60 whereas you can get a heatercore that is as good if not better at autozone for 17.99. That is all there is to it.

the answer lies in your intended fan selection
below a Delta SHE, other rads are better
you like big dBAs ?

noise doesnt bother me, my h2o is because i dont want pure silence but best performance. :)

sorry i meant i dont care if its silent or not*

Last edited:
"pure silence but best performance"
do you know what an oxymoron is ?
you do not understand this game, take a gander at procooling and look for Cathar's comments on rads

There are very righteous temps to be had with silent fans or blowers on heatercores. If I had unlimited money I would still opt for a dual pass core with a strong pump and a well made blower.

wait, so your saying that there is no difference (performance wise) between a bix and a chevette heatercore... I have both, and although I havent tested em out yet, the chevette is significantly bigger and thicker than the bix... I've always been led to believe that a heatercore was better than a bix...

wfarid said:
wait, so your saying that there is no difference (performance wise) between a bix and a chevette heatercore... I have both, and although I havent tested em out yet, the chevette is significantly bigger and thicker than the bix... I've always been led to believe that a heatercore was better than a bix...
Again, will depend on fannage. One thought to grasp, THICKER rads are NOT better and provide a lot more air resistance.

sorry guys i meant in my last post i dont care if its silent i forgot the dont care if part all im going for is performance fans dont bother me at all :)

Circaflex said:
sorry guys i meant in my last post i dont care if its silent i forgot the dont care if part all im going for is performance fans dont bother me at all :)
Id go with the single pass heater core... get some good strong fans 100CFM+ and you should be a happy camper.

nikhsub1 said:
Again, will depend on fannage. One thought to grasp, THICKER rads are NOT better and provide a lot more air resistance.

As does the density of the fins.

sandman001 said:
As does the density of the fins.
which is the same in all corrugated plate heater cores, most of which are also 2" thick
back to the fans

BillA said:
which is the same in all corrugated plate heater cores, most of which are also 2" thick
back to the fans

Is the thermochill the same as the heatercores? I know my Black Ice Extreme wasn't.

nikhsub1 may i askw hy you went with the thermochill the triple over a heatercore? Only problem with a heatercore for me is the size (width) for my case (Lian-Li PC75) which im mounting the rad on the top panel

Back