• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dear god. 1 bad stick of ram = insane asylum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

I've been trying for months to get my ch-5 pc3500 lvl 1 mushkins to 220fsb w/cpc on. I've microsinked everything that got hotter than room temp, modded my nf7-s v2 to hell, and modded all the rails on my psu too. Loosened up all the timings to 3-4-4-11 even, no go. Wanna know why? 1 "bad" stick of ram. I've been going *crazy* and compiling this: OC Results and finally I got the bright idea to test single channel, then, one stick vs another. As you can see, at the way bottom, 1 stick primes 2048 for 10 min, and the other craps itself immediatly.

Sorry, had to vent to someone ;) I hope mushkin will RMA this crap. It may "technically" do exactly as promised 433ddr @ 2-3-3 but not a single damn notch over...

I'm sure Mushkin will RMA it. They're pretty good about that end of the business.

Not sure if they'll have more PC3500 Level One CH-5 to give you or not? I suppose they probably will since CH-5 is still moderately available. If not, they'll probably give you something better.

I know how you feel. Testing memory is the bane of my existence. It's an all day event, and it's a bummer when you don't get the results you want :bang head:

Good luck,

Odie :)

Oh, and when it's raining, the whole world collaspes. During testing, swapping in out this ram (btw, 1 stick memtest86 10hrs, 1 stick multi fail 5 min) i ripped off the VTT chip because i'm and idiot... guess i'll go post in volt modding and see if it's fixable...

fldrice said:
They still do, I just RMA'ed mine about 2 weeks ago.

perhaps it's a sign that i should wait before rma'ing ;) . Can you tell me what tests they had you run to identify that your ram was bad?

Basically they asked me to run memtest on each of my sticks individually @The rated timmings and voltages(up to 2.8v). They will ask you your system specs, I sugest you tell them you have a desktop 3000+ instead of the XP-M if don't want any trouble. Since you have errors with 1 stick, they'll ask you to send it back for a replacement. If you hussle with them, you might be able to get a new kit instead of just getting a replacement stick but the catch is you won't have any ram for about a week if you bought it from a third party retailler. However if you bought the kit directly from mushkin, they'll send the replacement to you first. You might also want to check running memtest@ ddr400 to check for errors with the problematic stick. If it fails, just tell mushkin that your lv1 3500 failed memtest@ ddr400 with 2-3-3-5 timings. Then you won't have to hassle with setting memory dividers since mushkin doesn't warranty ddr433 @ 1:1 memory ratio.

fldrice said:
Basically they asked me to run memtest on each of my sticks individually @the rated timmings and voltages(up to 2.8v). They will ask you your system specs, I sugest you tell them you have a desktop 3000+ instead of the XP-M if don't want any trouble. Since you have errors with 1 stick, they'll ask you to send it back for a replacement. If you hussle with them, you might be able to get a new kit instead of just getting a replacement stick but the catch is you won't have any ram for about a week if you bought it from a third party retailler. However if you bought the kit directly from mushkin, they'll send the replacement to you first. You might also want to check running memtest@ ddr400 to check for errors with the problematic stick. If it fails, just tell mushkin that your lv1 3500 failed memtest@ ddr400 with 2-3-3-5 timings. Then you won't have to hassle with setting memory dividers since mushkin doesn't warranty ddr433 @ 1:1 memory ratio.

Got them from newegg. Yeah, what a PITA. Both sticks are fine at ddr400. One stick will run ddr433 at their timings, and one won't (1:1) But I can just imagine the crap their going to put me through. I'll probably have to deal w/the mem dividers here.
I was hoping for a dual pack replacement. I bought them as a package, they should replace both. Plus, they should ship the new ones out first and let me return mine in their packaging. bleh. I thought everyone said Mushkin had good customer service?

Well their customer service is good you, just have to know how to work the system. When you RMA stuff they're not making any money, so they have to make sure that the memory failure is not user error.

Mushkin's RMA department is top notch. They will gladly replace that stick for you. I had similar problems with my Level2 black. They didnt even hesitate to issue an RMA :thup:

I have 991087's. Their website says 2-3-3 @ 433, the PDF for 991087 says 2-3-2. Not exactly sure which is right but it's ch-5 so I assume the 2-3-2.

Tell me if this makes sense. The CPU/FSB ratio thing throws me sometimes.
7.5x162 3:4 ratio = 432mhz at SPD = 2-3-3-6. This combo fails memtest86 test #5 in less than 1 pass.

7.5x166 5:6 ratio = 400mhz at SPD = 2-3-3-6. So far this is OK (pass4). Pc3200 speed doesn't seem to fail but I'll leave it overnight.

I assume that the first test failure would warrant an RMA as the second stick, in the same slot, same 2.6 voltage, etc, can do 12x220 1:1 2-3-3-6 Test#5 w/o probs. Though I know that Sync on pc3500 isn't supported.

That sound right?
Thanks,
Froz

I sent it out overnight. and they got it on friday morning. i got an e-mail tonight (monday) saying they got them and would ship the new stick after testing. Now I don't know if that's testing the new one or mine. Said 2-3 business days. OK turn around time I guess. But still lacking that advanced RMA love that HD vendors have.

I have been having a lot of fun wiht just 1 stick though. So far I'm priming 11.5x230 @ 2-2-3-11, 1.925vcore, 3.17 vdimm, 1.4 vdd. Highest I've got it up to so far was 12x225, memtest #5 stable overnight and prime95 2048 stable 1 hr, blend stable 3 hrs.

Back