• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up a wan shared folder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

I'we got to be dumb, what i want is this.. A folder shared, so that if you KNOW the existance, you can simply type in the ip/dns name and the folder name in the explorer window, and it "should" connect you... (offcourse, being a bit restrictive, it should ask for passes, just as it does on the internal lan.

OS = Win2K3 Server EE

Installed "servers" = File server and IIS.

I'we been trying to tell the lady inquestion to use the ftp, but she claims the syncing software she is using aint able to sync more then the present folder.(no subfolders)

Any help, would be nice.

Thanks.
B!

Just set it up like any other file share: Share a folder, and make sure your share and NTFS permissions are set correctly. If you are behind a firewall, you will have to forward ports to it.. you will have to disable the 2k3 firewall, if you have it enabled.

Then you install every windows update the second it comes out, because exposing microsoft products to the internet is not very safe. If your firewall supports it, only allow connections from the IP that you are doing the backup from.

Any other solution is better than sharing a folder publically. Windows File Sharing/related RPC service exploits are a dime a dozen. Beware that enabling filesharing also enables remote administration via the Admin$ tunnel (MMC tools can connect to this), remote registry editing (assuming the service is enabled), along with a host of other evil things.

Connect to it by mapping a drive to it's IP:
\\192.168.23.12\share

Allready done that, dosent work, simply missed something i bet, but what....
Beats me.
B!

Some ISPs block access to windows file sharing. Run a port scanner and see if the scans are dropped.

Um, its a company connection, 2Mbit bothway, hosting webhotell and email/ftpservers... the connection is claimed to have no filters what so ever.

What ports would it be in sutch a case?

I honestly have a feeling it has with some security setting, but the firewall is turned of.

Im going to try and hook a second pc on the external switch, and see if i can acces it from there, if i can, then its something on the system, and i am able to acces it from the inside... still i'd be happy for more sugestions.
B!

Just realised a bit more "issues" seams i cant connect to networked shares outside the servers ip ranges at all, we have a few servers at a differnet location, on a different isp, and offcourse they have a different ip chain, we tried to do a "workaround" when syncing, coz its getting somewhat of an emergency, need to get it working like yesturday. But to no avail, cant map up those servers folders on the server here, or on a inside pc...
Is it likely a policy, im missing here? I think so, but WHAT one...

Any help, (please help,) Id be very happy.

Thanks. B!

What are you using for a firewall? What ports are you mapping?
The ports are: 135, 137, 138, 139, but I forget which ones are UDP and which ones are TCP.. some googling will find you that

What firewall do you have? If it's zonealarm, you may need to completely uninstall it and reboot before it stops blocking traffic.

Download NMap, and do a scan of the computer with the share from the other location, that is trying to connect to the share. What ports does it show open, closed and filtered?
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

Back