• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What causes the XP login screen to loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyle

Bro-in-law's computer constantly loops the XP login screen when booting. It passes through the WELCOME screen upon initial boot, then proceeds to the login screen, where you choose the user. No matter who I select, it immediately says "logging off", then "saving settings", then goes right back to the choose user screen. I can do this as many times as I can stand it. Even starting in SAFE MODE does this!!

I've done a virus scan and ad-aware scan, all on another XP system, and found a few virii and a lot of spyware, but those cleaned up. I even shut off System Restore so it would delete the files in the SVI folder.

Nevertheless, I still get the same symptom upon boot.

Any suggestions?

It could be caused by a profile corruption issue. XP is unable to load Ntuser.dat, which is the Registry Hive that keeps all your settings and options. You may have to create a new account and then attempt to copy data from your old profile into the new one.

Also, see if this link helps...

Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

I can't get into Windows to create a new account.

I'll try the suggestion at Lavasoft, but this problem existed even before I killed a bunch of items with AA.

Temporarily solved the problem- reloaded XP and educated the other side of the family about updating virus definitions on a regular basis, using and updating Ad-Aware, the benefits of a firewall, and not every e-mail attachment NEEDS to be opened.

Back