• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Start Up for WinXP & 2K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scann69

Hi People,

Just wondering if it's normal for windows to take more time when loading the network connection? Meaning that once i load my Windows XP & 2K to the logging screen, after typing in the password, it will load my normal start up programs but when it comes to the network connection, it seems to take very long. I'm talking about additional 10 - 15 seconds. It's as if the PC stops to take a rest before loading the network connection. I'm using wireless in my place. Any suggestions?
:confused:

Well, It's just a normal Wireless-G connection for my cable internet. It's not connected to any server or anything like that. Just plain internet from Cable Modem to Linksys Wireless-G Router.

I wonder what is on your startup list. There are programs that will start up without input from you. That is to say, you are not specifically starting them directly. By logging on, they are preset to do thing like start themselves and check for updates. These things typically range from AntiViruses to Windows Office products and evrything in between.

First thing I would do is go to http://security.kolla.de and download SpyBot Search and Destroy. Make sure you get all of the updates, it will prompt you to do this during the install. Run the program. If you have any questions as to how to do that, feel freem to message me.

See if that helps.

If that doesn't take care of it, next I would manually check a couple of places that auto-starting programs like to "hide".
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Anything is these locations will start up without input from the user.

Ok. i pretty much figures that there are 2 things slowing down my PC. one of which is the MSI PC Health that has the speed of the fan, CPU temperature, Voltage. etc...

Is there a software apart from MotherBoard Monitor that you can recommend that is simple to use without too much settings that i can use so that i can monitor my PC temperature and voltage?

My network loading still slows down my PC significantly. A real bored. Don't know what i can do to speed up my booting time. Anymore suggestions? What you mention in your earlier reply i have tried it but still no difference. When it comes to loading the network, it slows down. Oh, and i even formatted my PC without installing any other drivers or softwares except my wireless network but still same problem
:burn:

I have the same problem and have given up on it. I don't use a wireless connection though. I have regular dsl service. I find when I unplug the ethernet cable, my machine boots up and is ready to go in the blink of an eye. If I then plug the ethernet cable back in, my connection still works. Rather than continuously unplugging and replugging my cable to get a decent boot time, I have since chosen to ignore the annoyance by turning my machine on, then go to refrigerator to get a drink and snacks. By the time I return, everything is ready to go and I am not annoyed by having to wait. I know, it's a less than technical solution. Perhaps when I have time, I'll run msconfig and try to decipher what items I can safely prevent from starting during boot up. I guess it would make too much sense for microsoft and the rest of the software companies to use easily understood names for items they choose to have start when my machine boots up.

I seem to recall this slow boot issue w/2k and it seemed to be related to Outlook/Outlook Express or MSN Messenger - I'm thinking it's more Outlook related though. I did a little 'googling' but can't find it. - sorry

Funny that there is such a problem but hardly any solution to it. I'm still not too happy about the boot up time cos normally when i want to use the PC, it's always urgent and i just can't stand having to wait. That is the reason why i clocked it anyway :)

Well, i've also started doing what u are doing by hitting the button then taking a drink of food so i don't have to wonder why it's taking so long. But i'll still like to know why is it that booting the network or internet connection taking so much time. Weird right. Oh well, i guess it's just Microsoft :)

Anybody else want to give a hand here? :bang head

I am leaning towards the possibility of the machine is trying to authenticate itself onto the network, even though my dsl service has a dialer that requires a user name and password similar to dial up internet service.

Keep in mind that DSL is kinda like real good dial-up. It's not that there is really a problem, just a lot going on as you are signing in. That's why I suggested removing everything from your statup that is not necessary. The only thing on mine is my anti-virus. Anything else, I'll turn on myself.

I get what your mean but how do one explanes a PC that has just been formatted and with no other then the graphics and network card drivers installed yet the PC slows down or shall i say stops for a good 10 - 15 seconds before booting up? Still very weird to me. I just feel that there should be a way to this problem cos i never had this problem with Win98SE. I'm trying to get a good start up time of 40 - 45 seconds but with this problem, it take over a minute :temper:

I used msconfig and disabled all the start up items except antivirus. It helped a little, but not much. Let me repharse what I am experiencing. If i turn my machine on, it takes a little while before everything is loaded and is finished booting so I can use it. If before turning my machine on, I unplug the ethernet cable, it boots up so fast that it is unbelievable. It's ready to go in an instant in other words. In addition to disabling everything in startup except antivirus, I went into network connections and disabled IEEE 802.1x authentication. I thought surely that would fix it, but it didn't make any difference.

Usually the slowness is caused by DNS issues. Either your computer is trying to register its self on a DNS server, or it cant find one. If you have wireless, the slowness may also be caused by it trying to get an IP. With wireless, it takes a lot of handshaking before making a connection between the AP and the card. It may also be caused by certain programs starting up, but this isnt most likely the case. Check your event viewer for any errors.

Hmmmm....where do i find this event viewer? So if the slowness of the boot up is due to the handshaking only means i can't do anything about it? Looks like i'm going to miss fast boot up time then :confused:

Hmmmm....where do i find this event viewer?
Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc, and click OK...this is where you'll find the Event Logs. You can then highlight "Application" and "System" in the LH pane, right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red)...and select "Properties".

Back