• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ EL PC3200 Plat Rev2 or Crucial PC3200 Ballistix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I first bought my PQI 2x512 they sold for $245 and the OCZ was selling for $335. That large difference no longer exists and if I was buying today, even though they use the same chip, I would go with the OCZ because (1) I believe they do a better job of speed binning the chips (2) they have a great customer service attitude and (3) if I ever wanted to sell them, I believe that the name alone would allow me to get more from them.

As for the Ballistix, they were AnandTech's pick for the A64, but not all people have gotten the same kind of stellar results as the Ballistix turned in for that review. There is a thread on it that would give you a better idea of how it is doing on A64 rigs.

it depends on how hi or low u want to run ur multiplier. according to anandtech they got like 290 1-1 out of this board. so if ur looking for a real hi fsb 1-1 the tccd is more capable of those numbers. if u want to keep the mult hi and stay with standard memory speed (ddr400) then both the tccd powered and the ballistix will give u low latency( the tccd will give a lower-2.2.2.5 @200 mhz as compared to the ballistix2.5.2.2.5) if u want a compromise of mediem mult Ie 240/260 then the ballistix is better at running lower latencies at those speeds.

Thanks Flapperhead and Reefa_Madness. I just placed an order for the OCZ El PC3200 PE Rev 2. I think I will be happy. Wow I can't wait. I know both you guys are very knowledgeable here in this part of the forum. You have been very helpful. Thanks...

Hej man your system is cool :drool: , I had the same dilema, PQI, OCZ Platinum 2, Ballistix or the
Kingston HyperX BH-5 that suddenly appeared at some online vendor in WA out of nowhere, The prices are all within the same range, PQI is good but lacks name recognition when time to sell comes, Ballistix (not a lot of users, and results ????) HyperX was just a short in the dark
I finally ordered OCZ Platinum 2 from newegg yesterday, That review from Ananad was my final basis

i think you made the right choice getting the ocz [tccd] plat. pc3200 rev. 2
that will be my next purchase and you were right about those two guys on this forum. they know their stuff when it comes to memory. they have both been very kind and helpful to me.

Yeah OCZ plat rev2 was a good choice IMO
I’ve seen a lot of ppl getting very good results with them in a64 systems on a few of the different forums I lurk
Seems to be the replacement for the 3500/3700EB since it was discontinued
And according to anandtech the OCZ TCCD reached higher 1:1 FSB then the rest of the companies that used the same TCCD chips

When I build my next sys with a s939 3200 I'm guna use the OCZ plat 3200 rev2
2nd choice would be the Ballistix

but i live in the UK and cant order from newegg, zome1 plz check out the links i gave and see if they r rev. 2? or any new links is very welcome :D

arnoldma said:
is this revision 2?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5092&GroupID=382
or
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Enhanced_Latency_Series.html
(half way down the page, OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2 (MY-005-OC))

thanks!!

I don't believe so in either case.

The first link's product code is missing the "R2" in the code. It should read:

OCZ/400/1024/EL/DC/PE/R2/-K

I inserted the "/ " above to identify the seperate components of the code.

The first three are obvious, then:

EL = Enhanced Latency
DC = Dual Channel
PE = Performance Series
R2 = Revision 2 (this is what is missing from the first link's code)
-K = kit (maybe?)

By the way, I believe that this ram is sold only in dual-packs.

The next link shows ram that in the fine print, displays timings and they are not 2-2-2. I believe that these are also the same as the first link.

Last edited:
damn.. thanks for the code analysis though, thats helped my hunt for a rev. 2!

does any1 know a UK site that might stock these ram? cheer!

Back