• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to add another 512MB to my BH5s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiljaden5

I have Buffalo 3700 2 x 256MB and I want to add a single stick of 512MB (can that run in dual channel??) without sacraficing speed or timings.

I'll also be upgrading soon to an AMD64 setup probably with the new 939 3000+ or 3200+ CPU so those will be able to use the extra memory bandwidth and at the same time will be able to run my memory faster.

Whats my best bet and can my current memory handle that kind of speed?? :eh?:

A lot of people are really going nuts over the PQI Turbo ram around here. i dont know if you have been keeping up reading on recent memory, but the current best are found using Samsung tccd chips or micron -5tG chips.
these are both ddr 400 chips that run 2-2-2 at 2.7 volts which is rather good. what is very nice though is that they are both capable of handling ddr 500 speed at slightly reduced timings of 2.5-3-3.
I think the microns can do 2.5-2-3 or somthing at ddr 500 where the sammy cant, but the sammy attains much higher overall speed than micron. at least this is what i have read.. apparently micron memory is hit or miss. some have had good results, some not.

Pairing with bh5 is challenging because it all depends on the volts for bh5. you could probably run 2-2-2 on your memory with 2.9 vdimm. the new sticks can do that on 2.7, but you would have to overvolt them to run with bh5.

I got my Corsair 3200XLPT for $193cdn a stick. thats like... $130 or somthing us which isnt bad i think <_<.
there is also the ocz pc3200 el platinum rev2, mushkin level 2 v2, kingston hyper x ULK series, geil ultra platinum pc 3200 and many more im sure. they are all more or less the same price.
the ocz stuff kicks ***.. i wish i had found a canadian seller of it <_<.

Incidently, athlon 64's dont like more than two sticks of memory apparently. also, I hear they can be rather finicky about double sided memory, which most 512 mb sticks are. you will probably be fine with one or the other. your 2x256 bh5 or one 512 stick of somthing else. you would have to talk to some other people about that though. Im still learning about athlon 64 ^^;;

It might work but don't expect much out of it if it does. There is a reason that they sell matched sets of Ram, particularly for dual channel. I'd sell the 256 stuff and buy a 1gig kit if you need more memory space.

Back