• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-g, P4Northword 3.0 temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

I know its probably been discussed, but this kind of info can help others.

At stock speed, no OC Im getting 52C in the bios diagnostics, and similar probably 48C in speedfan. I have a coolmaster, large copper cooler (sorry don't know the model). Given that the ABIT temp readout can be a bit askew, is this still a bit high, for that setup.

Under full load with prime95, it goes up to 64 in speedfan.

Thanks for all comments.

Fish

Well for one, your heatsink probably isnt too great. Its decent I'm sure, but there is a lot better out there, and the one you have probably isn't good for overclocking. Second, Abit motherboards usually read anywhere from 10-13C too high, while Asus boards usually read 5-8C too low. This was a test a site did, you can read it in full here

So at stock your looking at 35-40C probably, possibly higher...not bad, but it could be better. At load its around 50C...thats getting a little high, you probably won't do too well with overclocking, but that sink is probably better than stock. Get a Thermalright if you can. :)

gustav said:
Get a Thermalright if you can. :)

Thats good advice. I did not spend much time / money choosing the cooler, and it was nearly 18 months ago.

Can you recomend a best/second best choice thermalright coolers for my CPU?

Thanks

Fish

I had a Volcano 7+ and the load would vary from 59-64C depending on the ambient room temperature. I have an Ic7-G.

The ic7-G is going to run a bit hot. From my experience it is a bit warmer than the Is7-E and Ai7.

I upgraded to a thermalright XP-120, and now my load if 50-55C depending on the ambient. Althought a bit extreme, the XP-90 would be a better solution if you are looking for something good, but not extreme.

Here it is:
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2474&cat=0&page=

FishD said:
Can you recomend a best/second best choice thermalright coolers for my CPU?

I prefer copper, so I have the SP-94 which when combined with a good fan, its a very good heatsink. I have no personal experience with the XP-120, but it is supposed to be better than the SP-94. Its all aluminum, but its so big it makes up for the lesser efficiency of aluminum. So pick one of those, and a fan of your choice (if you get the SP-94, get a good 92mm fan. I prefer Panaflo personally, but there are other good fans out there as well. 40-50CFM should be plenty and not too loud). If you get the XP-120, just pick out a 120mm fan of your choice, you can go with high flow (close to or over 100 CFM) or low flow (50CFM or so - thats low for a 120mm fan).

Back