• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix 2-3-2-6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

Anyone else notice they no longer have the 2-2-2 Ballistix in stock and have a 2-3-2-6 Ballistix listed?

Btw, can anyone tell me if the ADATA PC4200 and the OCZ PC3700 Gold Rev3 contain the same chips? If they do which is better out of the two?

Last edited:
That's interesting about the 2-3-2-6.

I wonder what that's all about. If there is a change, I bet all those people with the 2-2-2 variety are a happy group for having gotten theirs early.

Problems with yields, maybe?

although the chips may be the same the ocz is employing the latsest yield which runs better timings . later on the adata will have them also, as present stocks are used up

I'd have to think Crucial is being conservative. Take a look at the Ballistix PC4000: the thing runs 2.5-2-2-5 up to 241 at 2.8 volts. And what is it rated at? :D

Hopefully they aren't doing a switcheroo thing, you know, early sticks with best binned stuff for the reviewers, then complacency after that.

Your best bet of getting the 2-2-2-5 sticks is Newegg. As they are more expensive than Crucial, they might still have the 2-2-2-5 sticks in stock. No guarantees though, as they move stock fast.

And a tip here: GET 1 GB RAM!!! My preliminary testing of the 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE with Far Cry and Doom3 is you get bad stutters and freezes with less than 1 GB. You're talking monster cards, so it's not the card. I wish I could try 2 GB. While I have enough sticks, doubtful I can get the same overclocks with 4 sticks, plus you will lose PAT.

And for best performance, you need max bandwidth at fast CAS settings: 2-2-2-5 or 2.5-2-2-5. Even 2-3-3-6 ain't gonna cut it at 1600x1200 with all the eye-candy. Slow CAS = mouse lag, shuddery pans, you know, the nausea.

Back