• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows is eating my HD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klath

I have this really annoying problem. I have my 80 gig formatted into a couple NTFS partitions. My G: partition has this problem:
Whenever I cut something from it and paste it to another partition. The receiving partition loses the right amount of free space however the G: partition does not gain ANY free space. For example, I cut a 100mb folder from G: and paste to D:, D: would have then have 100mb lower free space but G: would still have the same amount as before, not 100mb more. If this keeps up, my G: partition could be all used with nothing in it! Get this, when I delete from G:, the right amount of free space gets added, so it's only cut/paste. I did a disk check on G: and the indexes seemed to be fine. I also defragged, virus scanned, and ran disk diagnostics; nothing came up. This just started recently too and I didn't do anything major. Keep in mind these partitions are all on the same disk.

Help?

What about system restore? Do you have it on or off? If it is on, it will track changes made to the drive, and that info has to be stored somewhere. I found that System Restore was using 10% of my 160GB drive once (~16GB). I figured that the only drive I need any type of restore capabilities is my boot drive, so I just disabled it for all of my other drives. Check that out.

Back