• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best software for tv tuners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

The software that came with my tv tuner card is not good enough because it cannot capture video straight to avi, it can only capture still images. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good software that I can download that can do this.

It needs the ability to capture video directly to avi/divx. Right now I'm using Virtualdub to do this, but I would really like it if the same application that I'm using to watch tv could also capture video. Also, this should be easily accessible, for example if I see something I want to capture, I'm not gonna have time to click a hundred different buttons to start the capture, there should be a way to start and stop the capture very quickly.

snapstream is supposed to be good, but it only works with certain Hauppage chipsets and a couple of Avermedia's. It didn't work with my card so I can't vouch for it, it is highly revered though.

Yep I have a Avermedia TV98, it's like 5 years old. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm searching their website right now.

It won't work with that one....I have that one AND a newer one. I think you're stuck with the software it came with. The TV98 software is the same software used on the one I bought last year. The only difference is that the one that I have now will record in higher resolution and compress in MPEG2 where the 98 will only do MPEG1. The Avermedia cards suck. I wish I had gotten a Hauppage 2500 or 3000. My card was only $50 and not $200 though. I wanted to use it as a PVR/DVR for my TV (Panasonic 47" 16:9) but that didn't work out too well. It took over an hour to throw the files onto a DVD and then the quality sucked as much or more than VCR tapes.

I like Intervideo WinDVR for my TV Card (a ghetto $20 POS that, at the very least, gets the job done).

It has a nice compact interface, and lots of nifty features :)

Ok I just found a really good (and free) TV app. It's called MyTV:

http://www.mytv.free.fr/

The amazing thing about this one compared to all the others is that the entire thing is only 70 kb! Whereas all the other ones are usually several megs. This has no installer, you simply download it, unzip it into any directory, and run the exe and it works perfectly. It doesn't have all the features as some larger programs but it has all I need, watch tv, and record directly to avi. And best of all it's so small and unbloated. I highly recommend.

Back