• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

533MHz FSB CPU on 800 MHz FSB mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[EXC]DDan

Registered
I was thinking of buying a new (Asus) mobo (my P4S333 is getting really outdated), and for future upgrade's sake I would like to get at mobo that supports a 800MHz+ FSB (and HT + DC mem), but this mobo will still have to support my 'old' CPU (P4 2.8/533). I've checked Asus' site and the '800MHz FSB' mobos do have support for it, but it doesn't say if it will still have the same OC options, I'm thinking the 100 and 133MHz FSB just might be two seperate settings for 'backwards compatibility' instead of still allowing the 1MHz increments in FSB you get when you run the default 200MHz FSB, really wouldn't like to get stuck at default speeds :eek:. So can anyone tell me what the FSB ranges are on the Asus '800MHz FSB' mobo's (for CPUs at different default FSBs), maybe even some advice on what mobo I should (not) be looking at?

I have a 2.4 northwood 533, that I ran on my P4c800 deluxe. It worked fine same features your FSB is just lower, and your ram will only register to 333mhz but other than that it will work, from experience.

Alright thanks, that was the answer I was hoping to get, will be getting myself a new mobo soon then and see what my CPU really can do :D.

Back