• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corrupt Partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0-one

A friend of mine is having a problem with a corrupt drive. He has a 100gig drive with a 60gig partition that is ok, but the 40gig partition became corrupt when he tried to load linux onto it, you can't boot from it.

He knows theres a way to copy a profile/account on xp, to the clean partition. He's done it before, but a long time ago and he's not sure the process. If anyone knows it will be extremely helpful. Thanks alot.

-steve-

Boot using a Win98/Me bootdisk, and type...fdisk /mbr at the prompt. You could also boot to the Recovery Console, and type...fixmbr at the prompt. These commands rewrite the Master Boot Record (MBR).

If it dont work to boot in linux it is because he tried to boot past the 2 gig limit as fas as a partition. if you installed the multi boot features you may have corrupted the boot sector.
Z

Back