• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phiber_optik

hey guys
what is the application called in a windows operating system that is BIOS? how would i go about accesing it on my computer?

BIOS isn't a windows application. BIOS is what makes your motherboard run and to get into it, restart your computer and keep hitting the Delete key during start up and it should bring you into BIOS. One thing though, be very very careful of what you change in there because if you change the wrong thing it could leave you with a non working computer.

BIOS is not a windows application. The BIOS is a function of your motherboard, and on most computers, all you have to do is press the Delete key to access it.

When you start your computer, before you get to the Loading windows screen, you will either see a logo of some sort, or some text. Somewhere on the screen it will (hopefully) have something telling you which key to press to access you're BIOS. It is before Windows starts that you have to press this key, once you see that windows loading screen, you will need to reboot your computer if you want to access the BIOS.

If you don't see a screen telling you which key goes into BIOS (or it may be called Setup), first try Delete, then try the F1-F12 keys, as they can commonly get you into the BIOS as well.

But whatever you do, be careful in there, a wrong setting can make your computer unbootable.

I don't think the real Phiber would appreciate you lifting his name. BIOS isn't part of Windows, it's an independant software flashed on a chip. Generally hitting the delete key while your computer boots will get you into BIOS to change your settings. And since everyone else beat me to it, I might as well add that if you do mess up you're settings, read the manual that came with your computer/motherboard and find out about the clear BIOS jumper.

well i only "lifted" his name in honor of what he's done
dont think i dont know who im talking about
thxs for all the help!

Back