• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions on pqi pc3200 latencies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I just installed my mobile 2600+ and Im in the process of oc'ing it and I think my current memory timings are preventing me from going any farther. You can look at my sig for the info. If I wanted to loosen them some more what setting would you suggest. I would like to be able to get to 200fsb and be stable until I get the NF7-S. I found a sweet spot as far as the multiplier goes. I cant seem to go much lower because this ram doesnt seem to want to get to 200fsb easily. Thanks

I'm somewhat confused by the information you are reporting. Is this the PQI with the TCCD chips? If so, it should have NO PROBLEM running 2-2-2-11 on your rig at 200. The multiplier appears to me to be set way to high for that mobile. It would do better if you had it at 10-11 and ran the fsb up to 220 or more. I believe that that board will run those speeds, won't it?

Reefa_Madness said:
I'm somewhat confused by the information you are reporting. Is this the PQI with the TCCD chips? If so, it should have NO PROBLEM running 2-2-2-11 on your rig at 200. The multiplier appears to me to be set way to high for that mobile. It would do better if you had it at 10-11 and ran the fsb up to 220 or more. I believe that that board will run those speeds, won't it?

No, its not those chips, and like I said above, it doesnt like going above 200 on the fsb. Its the mobo, Ill be getting the NK7 soon. I barely have the voltage control that you do and that might be the reason that Im not stable but I think it has a lot to do with the timings on my ram. I just want suggestions on a little looser timings without degrading the performance that much. :bang head

2-2-2-11, then goto 2.5-3-3-11..... I'm priming right now with a cpc off bios at 245... I don't think you need to go above 2.5-3-3-11 on an nforce board. I've also found that this memory does well without voltage so keep the vdimm at 2.6 or 2.7 unless you really want to take it high with the low timings.

My memory is at 11-3-3-3 and they were at 11-2-2-2. I went to 11-3-3-3 because it wouldnt boot anymore at 11-2-2-2. Should I try 11-4-4-3 or is that just to crappy?

clocks per cycle (located in bios but many bios come with it either enabled or disabled)... it's generally accepted that double sided memory works better with the cpc off.... with it enabled you get better overall system performance, with it off you can get higher clocks on the fsb.....

does it specifically say "cpc" or should I look for something possibly different OR did you say that it might not be changable?

I dont get it!? I was running what you saw in my sig, and I just now went in and lowered the multi to 11 and put the fsb at 200 and memory at 11-2-2-2 and it wont boot. Doesnt make any sense, I was running higher at 12.5*196 than 11*200. Does this mobo suck this much?

edwardaune said:
I dont get it!? I was running what you saw in my sig, and I just now went in and lowered the multi to 11 and put the fsb at 200 and memory at 11-2-2-2 and it wont boot. Doesnt make any sense, I was running higher at 12.5*196 than 11*200. Does this mobo suck this much?

I guess you'll know for sure when you get the NF7.... ;)

edwardaune said:

What are the cpu/fsb settings that you have selected via the jumpers on the board (100/133/166/200) as this setting may be impacting your overclocking attemps.

Below is a link to a review of this board which discusses some of these issues. There may be something there for you. This board should be able to do 215-220 based on several different reviews that I've read, including one at BleedinEdge. Your timings are way more relaxed than I believe they need to be for you only being at just over 200 so there has to be something there that is being overlooked. I have this board (Rev 2) but use it with a locked Barton (3000), so I don't go over 185 fsb, but again, it is because of the high cpu multiplier. Keep posting your results as I have more than a passing interest in your results. I have an unlocked 2500 that I was thinking of putting in my board.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=0

Well, what you see in my sig is what you get. I'm not stable anywhere else. After I posted last time I changed the multi to several different settings 10,11,ect.. all starting with a 200 fsb and some would boot but once in Windows unstable. I went back to 12.5*194 11-3-3-3. Its a rock at this speed. I didnt realize how limited I was with my voltages until I read some posts about the NF7-S. Are all of the voltages on the NF7 that wide spread or is it the modded BIOS' you guys are putting on it. Anyways, I think I could clock higher but I am limited on voltage. Shoot Im only running [email protected] and a 1.75vcore(maxxed btw) Reefa, the only "jumpers" I have on this mobo is the ratio switch, unless Im misunderstanding what you meant.
I dont know if the rev2 had jumper switches on the mobo for the fsb but rev1 doesnt. Maybe just misreading what your saying. Let me know.

edwardaune said:
Reefa, the only "jumpers" I have on this mobo is the ratio switch, unless Im misunderstanding what you meant.
I dont know if the rev2 had jumper switches on the mobo for the fsb but rev1 doesnt. Maybe just misreading what your saying. Let me know.

Doesn't your board have the "CLk_SW" jumper with the option of ON = Auto (supports FSB 400/333/266 MHz cpu) or OFF = 100 MHz cpu (this is the default setting per my board and needs to be changed to ON = AUTO for use with an other than 100 MHz cpu (200 fsb). Since off is the default, I was just suggesting that you take a look at it.

Also, have you gone into the Advanced Chipset Features and locked your AGP at 66 and set the System Performance to Manual?

I just feel like there has to be something there as this board, while not the equal of an NF7, is typically capable of being a decent performer, certainly capable of more than you are currently getting.

A lot of guys have trouble getting much over 200 fsb on other than an NF7-S or 8RDA+ (some even have trouble with that, unless you got the 18D Crush chipset). As far as 2-2-2-5 is concerned, I dunno. My 2x512 PQI (not even matched sticks) have gone 275, 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.9 VDIMM, but they were only good for around 212 or so 2-2-2-5. But above that they were good for 2-3-3-6 up to 243 or so. Some guys say they can't run anything other than 2.5-3-3- here.

For sure you would be safe with 2.5-3-3-6 on the PQI. I wouldn't use 3-3-3- as sometimes ram don't like oddball timings. My XMS3500 BH-5 just will not run 2-2-2-6; it errors out in Memtest. It only likes 2-2-2-5 or 2-3-2-5 (but then it's 2002 pedigree). Or run SPD timings while you sort out the board. I'm sure if you check in the BIOS, the PQI ram is rated 2.5-3-3-8 or thereabouts.

Reefa_Madness said:
Doesn't your board have the "CLk_SW" jumper with the option of ON = Auto (supports FSB 400/333/266 MHz cpu) or OFF = 100 MHz cpu (this is the default setting per my board and needs to be changed to ON = AUTO for use with an other than 100 MHz cpu (200 fsb). Since off is the default, I was just suggesting that you take a look at it.

Also, have you gone into the Advanced Chipset Features and locked your AGP at 66 and set the System Performance to Manual?

I just feel like there has to be something there as this board, while not the equal of an NF7, is typically capable of being a decent performer, certainly capable of more than you are currently getting.

Sorry, I did misunderstand. Yes, I have CLk_SW on, and everything is manual. I did not have AGP Frequency locked on 66 though, it was on auto I believe. I went ahead and locked it to that. BTW, what the heck does that do for me(guess I should have asked before I did it :)). Really, what does that do for me. Im gonna leave it where its at until I hear from you guys again. Oh, do you think the L12 mod would work on this mobo, just curious. Alrighty, talk to ya soon.

The AGP bus speed, unless locked, is calculated off of the fsb so as the fsb increases, the AGP bus speed increases. It has a narrow operating range (66-70 or so). The PCI bus is 1/2 of the AGP bus, so it too is affected by an overclock of the fsb leading to instability, unless the AGP is locked.

I have been curious myself as to whether the L12 is an NF7 only thing or an nForce2 thing. It seems that it is only discussed with reference to the NF7.

Did you read through that review for clues? I finally located some info that I was looking for. Take a look at this thread over at PC Perspective as it is specific to Gigabyte nForce boards:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266766

Another possible source of info:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/archive/index.php/f-71

Another board review over at BleedinEdge which might offer some insight:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/gigabyte_7n400pro/gigabyte_7n400pro_pg1.html

Last edited:
Well Reefa, I went through all of those articles and there was much that I havent done. They mentioned something about vagp, do I need to change anything there. Isnt that mainly for feeding more power to the agp slot. I did find a modded BIOS through one of your links and I proceeded to install it. The only diiference in it is that it gives more power to the vdimm in which I increased(3.0) and I was able to tighten my timings a little(11-3-3-2). Im at 195fsb and I think Im stuck at that. Let me know if you hear of anything else. btw, thanks for all of your guys' help.

What are the default timings for those sticks? Have you tested your sticks individually? They should be able to run at 200 or below with default (spd) settings or they are defective and should be returned.

As for relaxing the timings, try something like 2.5-3-2-11 instead of 2-3-3-11 and see if that works for you. I still believe that board should be going over 200 with your cpu and ram unless one of those three components is defective. When you get your NF7 you will be able to at least determine if it is the board or the ram.

Default, thats a funny word. Its advertised 6-3-3-2 but when you install the sticks they come up as 8-4-4-2.5. Ive heard that nForce2 Gig boards like 11 tRas, and reading those links it states that memory with x-3-3-2 timings shoulf be set to 10 tRas. Ive done that since then and my fsb is at 195 and Im priming as we speak and so far so good. Man, I think its the mobo. There are a lot of negative posts concerning this mobo. I dont think its that bad because, realistically, I am running a pretty decent speed, but they could have given more voltage options, at least a greater selection. If I could bump up the vcore I definately could raise the fsb quite a bit more. Im only at 1.7vcore.(maxxed out) As far as testing the sticks, yes I have tested them pretty extensivelty when I first received them. When testing the voltages were maxxed and I tried several different latencies and all passed w/o error. As of right now I am at 10-3-3-2 and like I said before Im priming and I think Ill do alright. Like you said, as soon as I get the Abit Ill find out what the heck is going on. Windows isnt to happy with me right now. I dont think it like all of the changes all the time. Oh, well. ;)

Back