• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Comp, XP Pro installed, SP2 installed, now no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

Okay, so i put together a new machine for the rest of my family,
specs-

P4 2.8 Prescott
SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon2 V1.0
512 MB PC-3200 Mushkin DDR Enhanced RAM
160 GB Samsung HD
Fx5500 OC video card
DVD/CDRW Combo drive
400W Rosewill ATX PSU
Floppy drive

Fairly decent for basic stuff no? and it only cost ~$600

The point is, i installed XP Pro, all the device drivers and Norton Anti-Virus 2k4, then i started doing windows updates. the first buncha updates worked fine, rebooted, then it asked to install SP2, so i ok'ed it. Downloaded, installed, rebooted...and XP hangs on loading screen at the same place every time. I tried safe mode, last good config, playing with the BIOS, nothing! So i re-formatted.
This time FRESH copy of XP, nothing else installed, no drivers, no nothing. I install the first bunch of updates again, seems fine. Then i installed SP2 AGAIN, and yet again, it hangs on XP loading...wtf is going on here???

uh, what?? dell?? i built this from scratch and none of the parts are made by dell...do you mean SOYO??

Oh sorry, I think I mixed up brands from another thread that was open. Yeah, check soyo for some updates.

Its simple, don't install SP2, if you have a decent firewall, and use Firefox as the web browser, what more do you need? Just throw SP1a on the machine.

On a note on if you want SP2 installed, try slipsteaming it into a Windows XP Pro CD, and try another fresh install.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=329002&highlight=critical+update

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626)
Overview
This non-security critical update helps resolve an issue where a limited number of systems running a BIOS without production support for Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Celeron D processors based on Prescott C-0 stepping can potentially hang on Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...99-5d75-454f-ae07-b620727be8d8&DisplayLang=en

Last edited:
Just a note:.. there ARE known issues with Nortons 2k4 and SP2.

Z

Back