• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98 (not 98SE) Geforce 2 MX problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keiron

I recently revived my 233 Cyrix box for folding and music fileserving. However, after updating it with everything windows could throw at it and installing VNC (it's going to be a VNC box), I noticed that the box was running 16 color (not 16 bit) and 640x480, which is the standard for the "Windows standard AGP video card" driver. So I tried to update the driver, big mistake. The system woudn't run with it and I had to use safe mode to boot and have a visable screen. I know the card works, as I installed Mandrake 10 on it and it worked fine, but it is WAY to slow for Mandrake and I don't have the time/patience for a Gentoo install on this slug.
I have tried the drivers it came with ("Winfast" Geforce 2 MX drivers by leadtek) that it worked with it before I formatted it (the system previously was at my grandmothers house, but I built her a 1.4 Ghz system as this thing is just painfully slow for anything). But they lead to the same result as the new Nvidia unifed drivers.
Anyone have any ideas about how I can get this box to work a little better?

If you know Linux, try Yoper Linux. It's a really fast distro, not too sure how it would work on such an old box through.

As for the driver, try downloading an Older Driver, or search driver guide for the specific driver for your card.
http://www.driverguide.com/

User: Drivers
Pass: All

I wasn't sure if it was a driver issue with the original drivers thou. I have the ones that came on CD with the card, and they gained me the same result as all the others.

Back