• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 NB heatsink fell off--seems better!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wunderbaum

Registered
I have the new style NB heatsink. The clams holding the heatsink poped off one by one.
Now I have no heatsink!!! And it works great. Case temp is down. Stable. Quiet.
I have a 2.4 GHZ @3.0 5:4 memory so the mem runs at 200.

Anyone think I could hurt something? :attn:

wunderbaum said:
I have the new style NB heatsink. The clams holding the heatsink poped off one by one.

You're asking for it dont you :burn: !!!!Wait till your rig shuts off and never boots again.......at least slide the pins back and put some sort of hotglue to hold them inplace if you dont know how to solder or get someone to fix it.......

Vflux said:
You're asking for it dont you :burn: !!!!Wait till your rig shuts off and never boots again.......at least slide the pins back and put some sort of hotglue to hold them inplace if you dont know how to solder or get someone to fix it.......

Yes I guess I'm asking for it :bang head

But motherboards used to come without NB sinks and well they were hot but maybe not this hot. I'll try to fix it.

The mobos that used to have no N/B cooler also only ran at 66 FSB. You happen to be at 266 FSB in case you didn't know. You need a heatsink on that badboy. If the retainer clips pulled out, you could Arctic Silver epoxy the sink back on permanently (I've done this to fix a friend's rig before). Some sinks like the Zalman could probably be used passively (no fan) and it even comes with thermal epoxy too.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=65&code=014

wunderbaum said:

Gee thats odd when my northbridge heat sink anad fan popped off my C7 wouldn't even boot up..............Strange.........

It's a small wonder that your pc still runs. And be assured time is tickin......................................................................................................................................................

Yeah my NB runs HOT, I'm planning on getting a waterblock for it when I get my kit completed...

-edit- You said it seems better, may I remind you that tuned ('overclocked') engines also always run extremely fast all of a sudden right before they break down, lol!

yeah even with the heatsink with the fan removed my system is unstable at 275mhz 5:4...

Back