• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadOnion

I recently got a new A64 2800+ with a vnfs3-250. I'm using samsung ram pc2700 tcb3 512mb. I get critical errors and programs crash every once in a while, i havn't done any overclocking. I think i know my problem, the 2800+ runs at 200 x 9 so its 1800mhz default. I have ddr333, so its suppose to run at 166 while it's currently running at 200. And this is causing memory problems. My pc2700 cant handle 200fsb/htt. How would i set up my memory settings, frequencies and such to make it work with great performance.. totally new to 64 btw.

Oh, i also ran prime95. and it canceled the test after 15minutes or so and gave me this "[Thu Sep 30 18:42:13 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990234375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
"

i read stress.txt and it said maybe cpu overheating (i know mine runs cool, 30idle/40load), or ..."memory DIMMs that are not quite up to spec". So i'm pretty sure that's my problem right?

th tcb3 should be able to handle 200+ mhz easily. thats the chips they used on the ocz rev 1 pc3700 gold. try upping vdimm or maybe upping cas a little

If u want it to run @166 then check ur bios under chipset settings and set memory to spd settings instead of 1:1 or 100% with the CPU. And upping the vdimm a little won't hurt.

how much should i up the vdimm? i dont want any hardware failures or anything. If the vdimm doesnt work, and i set the memory speed to spd. what does that do? just changes the memory ratio? will have a performance decrease right?

I suggest to set the vdimm to 2.7V. If u set it to by spd, it will set it to default speeds(166mhz,333 fsb).

MadOnion said:
I recently got a new A64 2800+ with a vnfs3-250. I'm using samsung ram pc2700 tcb3 512mb. I get critical errors and programs crash every once in a while, i havn't done any overclocking. I think i know my problem, the 2800+ runs at 200 x 9 so its 1800mhz default. I have ddr333, so its suppose to run at 166 while it's currently running at 200. And this is causing memory problems. My pc2700 cant handle 200fsb/htt. How would i set up my memory settings, frequencies and such to make it work with great performance.. totally new to 64 btw.

Oh, i also ran prime95. and it canceled the test after 15minutes or so and gave me this "[Thu Sep 30 18:42:13 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990234375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
"

The Prime95 error is a classic sign of an unstable processor. Prime95 failing at stock is a bad sign. Make sure the processor isn't overheating and make sure you have to right Vcore value setting.

If u haven't overclocked, don't touch it.But if u find that is the issue, set it at .025 higher and do a test to see if it is stable . If not, go .025 more.Watch temps during this period. Use mbm5 for temp monitoring. Make sure u test any other possibility though (i.e. memory testing), upping vcore can be tricky if u haven't done it before.

Last edited:
ok set vdimm to 2.7v. Running prime95, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
stable works now. Though, i noticed my cas is 2.0. I checked the amd64 oc results page, and 3 out of 3 of the 2800+ are set to 2.5 cas. Maybe i should set mine higher?

dkdgbroyles, Running stable with this setup (rig in sig):

1.8ghz @ 2.4ghz (266 x 9)
cas2 171mfreq CPU/14(133) @ 2.7v

Pretty sure i can still push further but i'm trying to find a goal i should go far. I was considering dropping my cas2 for 2.5 in exchange to lower my cpu/mem ratio, i heard the cpu/11 would run better and cpu/9 would be ideal (though a hard goal with pc2700). Is the exchange worth it? What setup do you think i should use?

the higher the fsb, the better. Go for the most stable with the higher fsb.If u can, keep mem/cpu 1:1. Also use sandra software to bench ur settings. For example, I run timmings very relaxed(7-3-3-3) to achieve 200mhz. any lower, it's not stable.For me to achieve a cas of 2, I need to go below 170mhz.but sandra software tells me 200,7-3-3-3 has better benches.

ok i'll test it myself to see which one gives better performance. Which bencmark on sandra should i run?

MadOnion said:
ok i'll test it myself to see which one gives better performance. Which bencmark on sandra should i run?

"Memory BandWidth Benchmark"

3-4-4-10 should alow you to reach your max mem speed ;)

-Jess-

currently im 2-3-3-6. I was going to do 2.5-3-3-6, but also going to try your 3-4-4-10 idea.

Back