• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

Does it make a difference in speed if I place my stick of ram in any other slot than slot 1. Currently its in slot 2. Will it make a difference if I change it to slot 2?

Typically you would place your memory in the slot closest to the cpu and if you have different size sticks, the largest ( 512 vs 256 for example) would go closest to the cpu. That said, it is not that uncommon an occurance to have someone say that they had to use another slot for their system to work, or that it worked better in another slot.

Reefa_Madness said:
Typically you would place your memory in the slot closest to the cpu and if you have different size sticks, the largest ( 512 vs 256 for example) would go closest to the cpu. That said, it is not that uncommon an occurance to have someone say that they had to use another slot for their system to work, or that it worked better in another slot.

I will confirm what Reefa just said.... I've gotten much better performance by using different slots..... not only using different slots but if using more than one stick, switching them around.... sometimes certain sticks of ram work better in certain slots.. go figure.....

Back