• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD probs (winXP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoD

My buddy had a no-power on condition with his comp not long ago, and it looked like the psu was dead. So i changed that, and came to discover no power was making it though the mobo, and he replaced it with a ECS 848P-A (he needed cheap).

Now it loads but when you go into windows or try and boot from a windows CD to install a new copy, its BSOD. All the time, right after it says loading IDE (hdd) or loading from cdrom.

Any ideas? I thought an IDE cable when i first saw it bsod after loading the hdd, but both ides gone bad?

It's a P4 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR ram/Winxp

He doesnt know what caused the original problem so im at a loss. Ideas?

NOTE: Ive used two diff XP cds known as good cds.

i think its funny that microsoft supposedly didn't even program the BSOD into xp but i've managed to get a couple

The model you mentioned how many watts does it provide?? It could be that its still not good enough, why dont you swap it with your PSU to eliminate this possibility. Different possibilities here, Check the ram, change slots, load bios defaults (except the boot from CD option should be the first), make sure the jumpers on HD are correctly installed, change the bios if possible, if all this fails, swap parts one by one and finally take the mobo out of case and try with just minimal staff to load Windows.........

Back