• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So should I update to SP2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redstone

May have been asked before but I am asking again anyway.

My machine is working like clockwork right now. My hardware is in the sig. I see people having issues here and there with update. Seems like it would be a good idea to wait for the SP2 "fix" if there is going to be one.

Any huge improvement with the update that XP really needs?

Last edited:
DONT DO IT, it messed up my new computer (pita), it only adds a little more security which can be had with a good firewall

It's 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other,,,,,,,,mixed results on every front. I have 2 boxes at work running SP2 w/NO problems, and just installed SP2 on my main rig at home. I had some resevations regarding my vpn software which I use to connect to my work network. I talked to my security folks, who have tested SP2, and they said 'no problem', so I'm running SP2 at home w/NO issues as well.

Another one for the 'plus' column for SP2,,,,,,,

I love SP2 the firewall is definately more user friendly than ZoneAlarm or BlackIce and the popup blocker for ie works great and doesn;t require some retarded third party toolbar or plugin to be installed. There are other updates too, but those are the main 2

Just depends... one system I have I can't install SP2. Everytime I do the system no longer boots. I get a C:\Windows\system32\hal3.dll file is missing error. Every other system I put it on though, about 8 of them, they all work just fine with the update. I say give it a go. Just back up all yourimportant stuff first and if it doesn't work, just reinstall windows from scratch again.

I am comfortable with zone alarm and I have MSN broadband that has an effective pop up blocker. Hmm. Verdict is still out for me but if I get the urge, maybe I'll make a ghost image and give it a shot.

If, as you say, your PC is working fine now, escpecially since you already have a firewall, I would recommend holding off for the time being. At this point any new patches MS releases will only apply to machines with SP2. However MS will hopefully continue to tweak SP2 till it actually works for everyone, and I'm hoping that will be accomplished by the time any new MS patcehs will actually be needed.

I recomend it. Most windows updates are very good. Although about 10% of ppl have had soem problems, 90% of ppl have no issues what so ever.

DocGiggs said:
Just depends... one system I have I can't install SP2. Everytime I do the system no longer boots. I get a C:\Windows\system32\hal3.dll file is missing error. Every other system I put it on though, about 8 of them, they all work just fine with the update. I say give it a go. Just back up all yourimportant stuff first and if it doesn't work, just reinstall windows from scratch again.

You can 'un-install' SP2 from the control panel add/remove programs vs "re-install windows from scratch agan" - if you so desire

I also recommend it. I have it installed on two of my home computers and just started testing it for a rollout at work. I haven't run into any problems yet.

Labotomy Jack said:
At this point any new patches MS releases will only apply to machines with SP2. However MS will hopefully continue to tweak SP2 till it actually works for everyone, and I'm hoping that will be accomplished by the time any new MS patcehs will actually be needed.

Do you have a link to verify that? It would surprise me that they would no longer support WinXP SP1 any longer when they recently accounced Win98 support has been extended till June of 2006.

You can always uninstall it or use System Restore if it doesn't work out for you. I have had no issues at all with SP2. I did help one person that is extremely computer illeterate install it (I run a tech support board for a chat room) and she did have issues with her computer randomly locking up. It turned out it was because her machine was bogged down with adware and spyware. Adware and spyware must be removed from your system prior to installing SP2. Microsoft has information about this on their website and CNN has even done a piece about this. I have also found that some people neglect to close out all the programs they have running in the background or in the system tray, and that sometimes causes problems with the SP2 install.

i have had no problems at all, but mine was a fresh format, not an update.

Just built a new computer and decided to install sp2. No problems here. I just disabled the security center in the services. Just be sure to install sp2 from a fresh install rather than an update because that's when the problems occur.

Back