• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ports stealthed by default? XP/win2K3server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

For all i know, this ports are "stealthed", and this on a clean installed XP, with NO firewall, i find this odd, as i clearly have specifyed over and over, that the connection WE are paying for, are completly unfilterd.

Is there anyone that has any ideas aas to if any of thease ports usualy are blocked / stealthed by Microsoft default?

69 / tftp
135 / epmap
137-139 / NETbios-ns/dgm/ssn
445 / microsoft-ds

If a port aint localy stealthed, that would mean the ISP is blocking it, nad that is agenst what they say...
This thread ties to my previues one about sharing a network folder, but i posted it freash since its a bit different info im looking for.

ANY ideas even bad once, apreciated...

(Big thanks to Su Root that have been bearing with me this far.)

B!

Stealthed does not mean blocked. It means the port is there and available but 'hidden' from view. You can still use it

Z

I would check to see if your AV program has any kind of port blocking turned on. I know that some of them do by default.

Long story short, i had tried just about everything i could figure out when i posted this question all over the web... i got a bunch of different ideas and hints, and none worked out... Finaly i gave up, called the company that sold us the connection, and started harrasing them.. they insisted it was my fault, i insisted the problem was outside ower system, and we went on.. finaly they slapped me with "All right, we'll send over a tech, if he finds nothing wrong, you'll pay for the consultation" i turned it around "if he does you'll pay us for lost productivity?"(Really not my place to ask, but i was by this time fairly angry, been called incompetent, and sugested that i was stuppid) about there we got nowhere more... Phones hung up, my boss got a report from me, and called there boss, and he apperently had a report aswell... less then positive about us/me... Finaly they come to an agrement, they will send a tech, but they wont charge, they'll talk about money after the error is worked out... Tech arives, i point at a freash portscan showing port 169 137-139 and 445 is stealthed, on a pc with no what so ever firewall... He disconnects it, and "goes to work" .. after about 5 mins he starts calling everyone, and an hour later my boss gets to talk with there boss, and he sends his best wishes, and his employies exuses, i was right, ports were blocked...

Not that it helped, they aint going to open em, we are however going to switch isp, we asked for a clean connection, Thats what we need.
Anyway, problem is "resolved" never was a fault with win2K, but i had to "Prove it" So all of you guys need to have a big thanks.
B!

Thats insane MAN!!!!. . . . . Im almost tempted to ask who the ISP is as I'll bet you are NOT the only to have such a problem.

Z

137-139 Netbios
445 Microsoft-ds

Ports are eneeded to do exacly what i asked about in the other thread... Share a network folder straight out.
Insane, yes, but im NOT going to start my jobb by telling my boss "your insane", that would be the shortest carrer in the history.. Insted, i intend to make everything work as she is use to, and then start to set the system up secure one step at the time.
That way she wont know what hit her. (Hoppefully) The bad part about this is offcourse, i have to learn more about Win2K3 Server.
The good part is it will be challenging, and educative...

B!

Back