• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error playing certain Divx movies on notebook, but not on Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dazzer

Registered
If I play certain dixv files (*.avi format) on my notebook, no matter if I use Windows Media Player or WinDVD 6, I receive an error in the form of 'Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for hte inconvenience.'

This occurs as soon as I attempt to play the file. The strange thing is I can hear the audio, but don't see a picture, and the movie plays the audio until I either click on 'Send Error Report' or 'Don't Send', after which the program automatically closes.

I have installed the dvix driver from divx-digest.org (file divx_3.11alpha.zip), but that has not helped.

What is really strange is the movies that won't play on my notebook will play on my desktop without a problem and both machines are pretty much identical regards the software they run, which is Windows XP Pro with SP2.

The notebook is a re-badge Arima notebook, I bought from TPG (see it at www.tpg.com.au/online/). It has an AMD 2200+ Processor, onboard Radeon GPU, and 512mb RAM.

My desktop has an Intel 3.0Ghz CPU, ASUS mobo, and 1gig RAM.

I have installed the divx codec a couple of times, but I'm not sure what else to try. The notebook plays DVDs, SVCDS from a drive or when mounted in a virtual drive. The notebook only has a problem when it trys to play straight movie files (i.e. single file), but it does not have a problem with every movie file, just some. And it is not always a divx file either; I recently had a problem with an mpeg file.

Any ideas what the problem may be and what I can try to do about it?

Cheers

Dazz

Hi RoadWarrior,

That sounds like a good idea. I've (think) I've found the appropraite driver on ATI's site and am d/l now.

I'll post here to let you know how I go.

Cheers

Dazz

Hi fellas,

I didn't have to update the drivers, it seems to have been the divx codec or old divx codec I was using. I installed Divx 5.1 and the files now play without problem.

Cheers

Dazz

Back