• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram for abit ic7-max3 and intel prescott 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

i heard that the OCZ tccd ram doesn't run very well on the ic7-max3? is this true? i will be wanting to archive 250fsb with this new setup, so thats y i chose the tccd ram... is there other ram that work well with the ic7-max, or is it all just a rumor?

thanks!

Read my sig... Using TCCD mem just fine. Both OCZ 3200 Plat Rev2 and Cosair 3200XL. Both work well because you can get some good OC with only 2.8v.

so is that the only problem with the ic7-max and the ocz ram? the fact that the vdimm only goes up to 2.8?

arnoldma said:
so is that the only problem with the ic7-max and the ocz ram? the fact that the vdimm only goes up to 2.8?
There is not any real "problem". The OCZ 3200 Plat Rev 2 are TCCD based memory. They do not require a lot of voltage to get top performance. Since the IC7 Max3 has VTT tracking issues between 2.9v~3.2v, that makes the OCZ o good fit.

BigStan said:
Read my sig... Using TCCD mem just fine. Both OCZ 3200 Plat Rev2 and Cosair 3200XL. Both work well because you can get some good OC with only 2.8v.

Is this really the BEST option for this board and cpu combo? I'm looking into the same configuration except likely with a 3.2E and since this is the last 478 setup i'll be doing I'm really pulling out all the stops I can.

Any reason to not go with a say PC4200 etc.? I'm not really concerned about the price as much as I am the flexibility to OC to the limit and/or life of this sytem.

I always see BigStan's name in the memory threads on various sites so figure he's a good one to know. :) Anyone else with experience feel free to speak up too.

Thanks,
Jeff

if u wanted 280+ or 200-220 at 2.2.2.5 1-1, id go with the tccd . but the ballistix runs better latencies at 245/260 1-1 and thats gonna be ur sweet spot.

The 4200 mem rated speed is DDR533 mem which means it's rated to run at about 265fsb. And most of them need 3,4,4,8 or similar loose timings to do it. It should oc to the range of 280fsb. So with a 16 multi of the 3.2E you are considering, that is an OC for the proc of about 4.26~4.48. Those are tough speeds to obtain in a proc even with phase change cooling. IMHO, mem that will run around fsb 250 with tight timings is a better investment for a 3.2 or 3.0 proc. Most of the current crop of TCCD mem can do that with 2.5,3,3,6 timings. I just think that is a much better deal then 3,4,4,8 or 2.5,4,4,7 timings of the 4200s. The 4200 would be a good idea of you were buying a 2.4 proc and wanted to try to get to the 285~300 fsb range with your proc.

Just my humble opinion. It's all good.

BigStan said:
The 4200 mem rated speed is DDR533 mem which means it's rated to run at about 265fsb. And most of them need 3,4,4,8 or similar loose timings to do it. It should oc to the range of 280fsb. So with a 16 multi of the 3.2E you are considering, that is an OC for the proc of about 4.26~4.48. Those are tough speeds to obtain in a proc even with phase change cooling. IMHO, mem that will run around fsb 250 with tight timings is a better investment for a 3.2 or 3.0 proc. Most of the current crop of TCCD mem can do that with 2.5,3,3,6 timings. I just think that is a much better deal then 3,4,4,8 or 2.5,4,4,7 timings of the 4200s. The 4200 would be a good idea of you were buying a 2.4 proc and wanted to try to get to the 285~300 fsb range with your proc.

Just my humble opinion. It's all good.

well reasoned, thats why i suggested the ballistix. clevor who is a walking parts factory says his ballistix really outshines the tccd in latencies at medium speeds

flapperhead said:
well reasoned, thats why i suggested the ballistix. clevor who is a walking parts factory says his ballistix really outshines the tccd in latencies at medium speeds
The current crop of Ballistix are rated at 2,3,2,5. They may not be made from the same ICs that clevor has. The earlier one were rated at 2,2,2,5. Just a word of caution. Be nice to see how well the current batches do.

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=BL6464Z402&cat=

JeffP - another side note. You mentioned wanting to get an IC7 Max3. You are aware that, even though in the BIOS you can select mem voltave up to 3.2v, that in reality 2.9v~3.2v won't work without doing a VTT mod. Don't get me wrong. I love my Max3. But I have the VTT fix on mine. Have you considered this mobo from DFI. It has working VTT tracking and mem voltage up to 3.2. There are some great BIOS options for OCing. Look Here. But it uses the new LGA 775 Prescott procs. These seem to OC better then the 478 procs. If I didn't already have a MAX3, this is what I would be seriously considering. The only down side I've noticed is that I can't find a good support forum for them. But as more get sold, maybe one will develop here at OCForums.

Very interesting information guys, sorry to sound like a newb but this is one area I just haven't spent much time. Sounds like from the information given the OCZ 3200 Plat. rev2 is the best option for the Max3. However if I'm looking at going to something like the DFI then I suppose I would look for the some memory with bh-5 in it that can handle 3.2V? Or is there another recommendation for this? Bigstan i noticed the link you pointed me to has some question/issue with memory on that board as well.

I got a good deal on the Max3 and the only mod is the MC64. The VTT mod has not been done. I could always dump that board and get out of it what I got into it plus some since they are still a very hot commodity. I just hadn't seen a board since the Max3 or the P4C4800E that OC'd well and still supported AGP.

I do like the idea of the it having the 775 socket as it gives me a little longer life out of the board and i'm not to hip on the PCI-E just yet. I hate to get to far outside the scope of this thread but how much better are the 775 OC'ing then the 478?

Thanks.....

JeffP said:
Very interesting information guys, sorry to sound like a newb but this is one area I just haven't spent much time. Sounds like from the information given the OCZ 3200 Plat. rev2 is the best option for the Max3.
I like them. But the PQI are reviewing nicely also, and the Ballistix are right in there also.

JeffP said:
However if I'm looking at going to something like the DFI then I suppose I would look for the some memory with bh-5 in it that can handle 3.2V? Or is there another recommendation for this?
I don't know that I would change my recommendation. I can run 3.2v, but I'm still running low voltage TCCD mem. It's just nice to have the extra voltage available. As new memory comes around, you never know what it might take to get it stable. I just like having that option open to me.

Jeffp said:
Bigstan i noticed the link you pointed me to has some question/issue with memory on that board as well.
I posted a note asking him to clarify that a little. Tony mentioned that he can't get as high as on OC as he used to with other mobo. But that he is getting better bandwith. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. More bandwidth is what it is all about. But it might effect what mem someones buys to match up toa particular proc.

JeffP said:
I do like the idea of the it having the 775 socket as it gives me a little longer life out of the board and i'm not to hip on the PCI-E just yet. I hate to get to far outside the scope of this thread but how much better are the 775 OC'ing then the 478?
You might want to start a new thread over on the CPU section. Might get a better response over there. Just from casual observation, it seems the LGA775 procs can usually hit 4.0+ easy. Whereas some of the 478s can, but most struggle to get over 3.9

BigStan said:
The current crop of Ballistix are rated at 2,3,2,5. They may not be made from the same ICs that clevor has. The earlier one were rated at 2,2,2,5. Just a word of caution. Be nice to see how well the current batches do.

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=BL6464Z402&cat=

wasnt aware of that, it is something to consider. also according to the director of technology for ocz (dr michael schutte) there should be little or no drop off in performance in an intel system between 2.3.2.5 and 2.2.2.5. that is what ocz based their successful eb series on.. now dont get me wrong, the tccd is definitely my new favorite. its just that ive noticed that there current yields kinda have a performance hole around 230/260 in that they dont care for 2.3.2.5 latencies. with that being said the sammy chips are still a strong performer

Back