• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explorer constantly crashes with SP2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I made a slipstream install of SP2, and it was working great until I used windows update to get the latest crap. Normaly im against updates, but my friend convinced me. After updating, windows would not boot. So, I reformated again, and now every time I open an explorer or IE based window, explorer crashes and I have to manualy reopen it. Is there a fix for this?

I get a similar thing but not as often.It says explorer has experienced a problem and needs to close.So then it restarts itself.
Driving me crazy.

Try running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

I use firefox, but I tested IE out. Its explorer that crashes. If I used IE, my pc would be totaly useless.

Ehh? Thats useful. CDROM had a bad block. Theres no cd in the drive. Ill try a different IDE cable.

There is/was no problem with firefox. Its explorer that keeps crashing, and the thing he said to check said there was a problem with my CD drive. I assumed perhaps a bad IDE cable was causing problems, and perhaps making explorer crash, because I knew my cable was going bad. I still havnt solved why explorer keeps crashing.

So, do you not understand what I am saying? Perhaps I should go to bed....

Yuriman said:
There is/was no problem with firefox. Its explorer that keeps crashing, and the thing he said to check said there was a problem with my CD drive. I assumed perhaps a bad IDE cable was causing problems, and perhaps making explorer crash, because I knew my cable was going bad. I still havnt solved why explorer keeps crashing.

So, do you not understand what I am saying? Perhaps I should go to bed....

I get it now, about what reducc said to check, but your 'EEH? post didn't refer to 'qoute' or acknowledge his suggestions, so it seemed to me as being off topic. - sorry

Well, for absolutly no reason, my pc can now have 1 explorer window open without crashing. Of course, any more makes it crash.

I'm having the same problems....this is a one day old install of XP home with sp2

Under application:(4 errors)

faulting application aiul.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module mfc42.dll version 6.24131.0, fault address 0x00004973

faulting application prefterm.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0 fault address 0x00000000

faulting application setup.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module setup.exe, version 1.0.0.1 fault address 0x00001485

the last one is a winamp prob.....I will uninstall that.

Under system: there are about 30-40 errors.

What the heck is going on......SP2 sucks :mad:

Thanks for your help.

iNterBeiNg said:
so does it crash by itself or does it only happen if you right click something?

Both...I get a lot of errors while loading apps or while inside the app. Occassionally my comp just shuts off and reboots, but this has only happened twice.

I was running my last install of xp home for almost 10 months with out any problems.....and now this.

I'm also getting errors when shuting down windows. My antivirus (Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition) fails to close and I get that annoying end program box and the shut down hangs for a few seconds.

ALSO...I've been running at default speeds.

hmm... sounds pretty bad. I had a problem with explorer crashing sometimes when I would right click on folders, etc. Turns out that it was one of the program shortcuts on the context menu. Used a shell editor to disable it and havent had the problem show up again since.

Well, I tried to install sp2 again. and all HE(double hockey sticks) broke lose. I tried uninstalling SP2 and that made things worse. :(

I am now typing on my new re-format of SP1, and everything is working fine. So, am I a complete dolt when it comes to SP2 or is there something wrong with this service pack?

Back